I have an 05 Dodge 3500 with 5.9 Cummins. I'm getting a code P2149 fuel injector group B supply voltage circuit/open. Anyone have any ideas for me? Truck still runs good until you put the hammer...

235

Asked by Aug 28, 2012 at 01:10 AM about the 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab LB DRW

235

Put the hammer down...Duh

575

P2149 is for bank 2 injectors being shorted high or low. The injectors are broken up into two banks electrically, bank s is the rear 3. Start by removing the valve cover, unplug the injector harness connectors at the cylinder head. Using an ohm meter check across the terminals of each injector one at a time. Each injector should have a resistance of 0-1 ohm. If the resistance is higher than one ohm it will set this code, and that injector needs to be replaced. If the injectors are ok, check each wire running from the injector to the connector on the side of the valve cover one at a time. Here again we are looking for 0-1 ohm. any more, and you need a new injector harness. You have to take combined resistance into consideration too. If an injector is borderline and so is a wire in it's harness, this code will set. If you don't come up with anything on the injectors or wiring it could be between the valve cover and the ECM. Check over that wiring closely. If you still don't see anything it's likely you have an injector that has windings increasing in resistance when they are hot. An injector is by far the most likely cause, followed by the injector wiring harness. Remember that this fuel system is fully self bleeding, opening a fuel line while the engine is running or cranking isn't necessary, and is very dangerous. The fuel is under enough pressure to penetrate your skin. Read more: 03..code P2149 fuel injector grp b supply voltage circuit/open - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/446lq-03-code-p2149-fuel-injector-grp-supply-voltage-circuit-open.html#ixzz25CMCl7Zw

235

So you're telling me it's the rear bank of injectors that I need to check?? This all started about 3 months after I had my edge juice w/ attitude installed, what are the chances it might be the edge chip??

235

Oh and thank you BTW...

575

One little spec of water can make a diesel owner miserable and thats all it takes to destroy an injector. Check your rear injectors. Good luck

11,775

I doubt its due to the Edge tuner. think of the Common rail injectors as a wear item, all they are is a solenoid driven pin when you really get down to it, after so many on off cycles they wear out. it doesnt help that the Bosch CP3 fuel system is setup for whats called pilot injection which is a pre injection event before the main injection cycle begins, so those injectors are working double time all the time. and their pulse width modulated which really burns stuff like that up. and just a rule of thumb NEVER replace just a single injector, theyre ment to be replaced in sets yes its pricey but a NEW injector will function better than an OLD injector the PCM will see this and burn out the other injectors as well as the IDM's which are contained inside the PCM trying to make them balance out. and these common rail injectors arent cheap either, but hey ya gotta pay if ya wanna play right?

11,775

and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE becareful when you go to remove your valve cover, its gasket IS the injector wiring harness. and you may have to remove your exhaust valve rocker arms to OHM test your injectors since you have to remove the wires from the injectors that youre testing. if you do find your self needing to remove them make sure you relash your valves .010" on the intake and .020" on the exhaust.

235

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be looking into it... OMG the dealer wants $650.00 a piece for reman injectors... Found some Bosch reman injectors for $350.00 which still hurts, may have to take my chances for now and just replace the bad one...

235

So I haven't done anything to the truck, it's been dry with no rain for the last few months and the truck is acting fine... Even with the chip in extreme mode I've had no issues, so I'm thinking moisture in the connections for the programmer?? An injector wouldn't just fix itself so I dunno, it's working so I'm not complaining...

10

try dieselogic.com, picked up a set for my 04 for $1300, tested reman, working great, even though they are stock replacements my truck really woke up!

20

Having the same issue code 2149 and it's still popping even after replacing the injectors wiring harness and the pigtail off the wiring harness. Also had a passager side battery was weak replaced it. I haven't followed injector wiring harness all the way back to the ecm. Is there anything else that I'm missing tested the wires and .9 ohms

My 99 5.9 threw codes until I moved the harness up a half inch off of the alternator and added more insulation. If any wires are laying on the alternator, stray current can really screw with the brain. Easy fix.