2000 Chevy Cav Window

Asked by Sep 05, 2013 at 02:26 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe FWD

2000 Chevy Cavalier Window Problems?
So, I have a 2000 Chevy Cavalier and about 2 years ago the window won't go up. A few
hours later it finally went up. It did this randomly (every few months for about another
year) but would almost always go up. This summer it started doing it a lot more often.
You couldn't put both windows up at the same time. It took forever to go up and it
would get stuck going up (sometimes down but mostly it would go down but have a
heck of a time going back up). We finally decided to replace the motor (two days ago).
The window was perfectly fine running well everything seemed great and assumed we
had fixed the problem. Now yesterday I put the window completely down (assuming
again it was fine and all was well) and needless to say it has been stuck down since
yesterday afternoon and shows no signs of going up at this point. I am wondering if my
husband possibly missed something when installing it, if it could be a fuse (I'm pretty
sure the passenger window won't work if it was a fuse but I could be wrong. My
passenger window is perfectly fine). Or lastly maybe a switch? He is planning on
ripping the door panel apart and trying to isolate the problem tonight. I seen ideas
about maybe the track/balls just needed oiled, or you could clean out the switch etc.
We both are kind of lost on what it could be at this point. Any suggestions?

7,915

Your 12 year old car probably just has a bad drivers door "window operation" switch. If you go to any other car and try to put the windows up while the auto is shut off, you will see they operate slowly due to the increase in current draw across the fuse. This issue simply solved by putting up one window at a time. Yes you are correct, if the passenger side window goes up and down from the same switch panel, then the fuse is fine. I would bet that the drivers door switch (the most used window switch) has degraded over time and it needs to be replaced with a new switch. When he does take the door panel off again, make sure all connectors are tight, any ground wire(s) are tight and check for a light amount of "white grease" in the operating track as well. If he were to over grease the track system it could get damaged due to debris falling between the door glass and the door window outside gasket (where you rest your arm when the window is open, it looks like rubber or felt strip) and if you live in a cold climate it could hinder operation of the window as well due to the grease being "hard" due to the cold temperature outside.