rear end sways when accelerating it kicks out when i let off the gas and then reapply it if someone can help me i would be very thankful

Asked by Aug 29, 2012 at 06:46 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4-Door 4WD

well its simple i just bought a 2000 blazer and the person i bought it from said it was a good truck and i drove it did not notice the sway till later but nevertheless it SWAYS he said he has put a 2" lowering kit on it also but all i know forsure is it sways when driving at a constant speed once i let off the gas it sways and when i reapply the gas it stops

264,095

Sounds like something in the suspension is worn or loose. Could be a worn bushing, loose component or worn shock/strut, possible an incorrect installation on the lowering kit, etc. Have a mechanic look at it ASAP, it doesn't sounds safe to drive.

ya i have it parked at my grandpas house just paid 12700 for the truck so now im pretty broke for awhile but its just weird cuz its not so much swaying all the time its just if i let off the gas and when i do it doesnt so much go left right left right ect. it jus like kicks out to the left then when i reapply the gas it comes back... so im hoping it is jus improper install on the lowering kit i cant afford bunch of parts

355

Just an idea, jack it up and try shaking your wheels. If they can shake then you have a bad bearing and will need to replace that asap. My MR2 liked to sway at times when I first got it then I found out I had a bad bearing in the back left wheel.

10,675

Yeah. It sounds more like a bad rear wheel bearing to me too. I had the rear wheel bearing go out in my Explorer and the truck would wobble when I let off of the gas but straightened up when I accelerated.

264,095

Now that I think about it, also check your lugs nuts, they might be loose.

ok thank you all for your help and advice... do any of u think it might also be that the kid who lowered it did it wrong he said that when he lowered it he had to take out the leaf spring blocks/spacers and when i asked him he didnt mention that he put new ones in he just said well i took them out because of clearence issues never said he bought new 2" shorter ones so idk just food for thought if u can give insite on that... i would go look if it was missing them but the truck us currently at my grandpas house and cant look

well i just came from where i have my truck i tried to shake the tires when jacked up they r very still no bearing problem and i looked at the spacers they are infact there although the passenger side spacer is loose yet the u bolts i can not move seem to b tight which i found weird... so any other advise would be much appreciated!! and jus for the record i paid 1700 not 12700 lol would never pay that much hahah

20,025

The U bolts need a good cranking, or the lowering blocks arnt quite on the alignment holes. Its a sloind rear axle so it's either U-bolts or Leaf spring mounts. Previous owner could have cross threaded the u-bolt's nut. If they look old cut them off and put new ones on. And i'm glad you didnt pay 12k for the thing. Was about to ask if you wanted another, lol.

lmao no sure dont i am very upset with this guy i would never sell a suv w/o being completly honest but thts wht i get for trusting people... i got in on the road today and now the trans is leaking idk if it is jus the pan gasket or what but its jus overwhelming for me now

355

This is a key reason why I never buy vehicles with slight customization work done to it. There's too high a risk of the seller being an immature idiot that drove the crap out of his vehicle and is trying to sell it because he messed it up. This is also the same reason I will never buy a vehicle from a teenager.

20,025

1700 is cheap for a 2000 4x4 model. I'm not surprised it's messed up.

well i fixed the problem the kid jus didnt tighten the u bolts down enough so guess i got a good deal on it beacuse he didnt know wht he is doing... so in this case its good to buy off immature teens huh.. lol thx for everyone's advise

1,720

There is the possibility that when he "lowered" the rear, if the "U" bolts are not threaded enough, the nuts will run out of threads and feel like they are tight but not. You may need to get "U" bolts with more threads, or somehow add a spacer under the nuts so it will completely tighten the "U" bolts.