I have a 2000 chevy blazer z21 with a 4.3 tbi. Won't start

10

Asked by Aug 18, 2014 at 04:26 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Blazer LS 2-Door 4WD

I have a 2000 chevy blazer z21 with a 4.3 tbi.Cold starts I would have to spray starter fluid
to get it started then it would run fine. Started to have to do that even on warm starts.
NOW it won't start at all. Can someone help me? I am not a "car guru" so please give it to
me so I can understand. Thanks much!!

36,485

Any CEL's on on the dashboard?

715

I do not know what a CEL is.

36,485

Check Engine Light. Could be a red or yellow light

10

The CEL, which comes on when the key is turned, had not come on when the engine WAS running.

36,485

Well that's good and bad news. Good news is that the CEL works. Bad news is that it went off when the engine was running. I say bad because if the light was on that would mean that there was a code stored that would give you a clue as to what the problem is.

10

So I'm still at the "I don't know what's wrong" point. Awsome!

36,485

I'm leaning towards a fuel issue. Can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds when you turn the key?

10

Yes I can. I'm sure it's something else because even with the starting fluid it won't fully fire. As I stated prior, it sputters & sounds like a diesel, but won't fire off. Before, it would at least fire up when spraying the S fluid in.

10

I'm wondering if something happened to my timing. Either in the distributor or even the timing chain. Of course like I originally said, I am NOT a car guru.

36,485

By chance do you know anyone with a scanner? Since the starting went down hill the way it did Im thinking there is a code stored that will shead some light this hunting problem.

20,415

if the chain slipped these truck will throw a cam/crank correlation code. Have your fuel pressure checked, that is the weak point on these trucks

a cheep thing to try right off if you can't get it scaned for codes is check to see if your getting fire to the spark plugs if you do replace the fuel filter very little $ for it. and I'll also say this because this worked for me if you haven't put new spark plugs in in a while this isn't that much money to see. had a blazer that had fire to plugs but wouldn't start got new one's that the vehicle manufacturer called for that vehicle and it fired right up. store manager said that noted for those blazers to only use that brand of plug for them. but fuel filter I'd definitely change if you haven't. good luck hope you get as lucky as I did its a inexpensive start.