crappy electric windows on a 2000 Astro Van

Asked by Mar 17, 2009 at 01:38 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Astro LS Extended RWD

Hey everyone. I have a friend that just went to jail, for a long time. I have power of attourny over his affairs and i am going to try to sell his 2000 Astro van and put the money away for him. I just picked it up yesterday. Don't know much about it. Gave it a thourogh cleaning today. It has 131,000 miles.

I noticed that if i rolled the electric windows down, they only wanted to go back up a couple inches at a time. You actually have to wait awhile and try it again a few minutes later before they will even try to move up another couple inches. Actually, they wont go down either when having this problem. I never got to ask him if there was a trick to these windows. I'm sure it's a common problem, but did these models have problems with the motors or wiring? I'm sure i can probably test the windows to figure out a little more about them. But i want to get this figured out before i try to sell it.

What can i do to fix this?

THX, Jerry.

20

The motor is bad on the window. It is a normal problem. I have a '99 that I replaced the motor/regulator on. I have a '00 doing the same thing you described. If I remember correctly the motors are $60 from AutoZone (I don't remember for sure). Good luck, Bob

19,445

Take off the door panels, clean out the contraband. Lube the rails and check for any damage to the rails or gears. As stated above, the motors may be bad. I just replaced my window motors on my 69 Vette after all these years. Wow do they move fast. Before one motor burned out, they moved at a snail's pace. Now with new gears and proper cleaning and lube, with new motors, they move very quickly.