How do I repair the rear differential on my 2001 Chevrolet Tracker? 2 door, 4wd.

Asked by Aug 27, 2014 at 10:52 AM about the 2001 Chevrolet Tracker ZR2 4WD

The rear end is going out in my car. I can't find how to fix it anywhere. I'm a young girl that doesn't have the money for a mechanic or a daddy to fix it for me. I do my own car work. I can't figure out where to get instructions on how to repair the rear end, and as this is my daily driver, this is a big problem. It is going out at a fast rate and won't be running within the week. Also, can anyone tell me what exactly will happen when it goes out if I am in the car driving? I don't want to risk a wreck and I need information. Anything will help.

In your case I would recommend getting a complete unit from a wrecking yard and make sure they have a parts warranty, change the fluid if it has any in it, most auto wreckers drain the fluids but double check, and do the exchange. If you need instructions go to your local library, they should have a motor's or mitchell's manuals and get photocopy's of the procedure from the reference desk. If you do your own work you know this will be a dirty job and it won't be easy but it will save you some bucks and time. As far as what might happen if the rear end does go while driving, 1 it could just go bang, your engine will over-rev, if you just kill the engine by turning the key to off and not lock you can coast to a stop, 2 the rear end will seize and it will lock up the rear wheels and start sliding all over road, not good, a wreck is high probability, 3 the rear end seizes, the driveline shears off midway and jambs itself into the asphalt throwing the vehicle and you up into the air ripping the entire rear end out from under the car and your fate is unknown. Granted the last one is worst case, but at least you know. If you do have to drive this, stay at low speeds, the slower the better if it does go you have a better chance of controlling it. If you have some friends that might be willing to take you places till you get it fixed might ease you mind, or someone you might have a car they will let you borrow, might be a junker but if it runs and drives who cares. Good Luck, be safe.