White sludge in the reservoir

Asked by Apr 07, 2016 at 02:26 AM about the 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 ST SB

I bought a Dodge Ram 1500 4 weeks ago, I kicked
the tires checked all fluids all seemed good before
i bought it but yesterday I was looking under the
hood looking for the cabin filter noticeed the
reservoir was discolored, i popped open the
reservoir and found a white/grayish sludge floating
and I opened the cap to the radiator and the neon
green coolent  looks like nonfat milk but the oil is
still golden brown on the stick, no white sludge on
the filler cap/neck, not miss firing, no white
smoke,, not overheating, It's a manual trans so I
don't think it has a trans cooler. Any ideas before I
start down the repair road.

What does the coolant look like in the radiator? If it is the same I suspect too much stop leak in the cooling system, it will need to be back flushed and then see where and what happens after that.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Start at the beginning- change the coolant- but if I were you, I would be worried- and I would start checking my used car purchases more carefully-

Yes, I hang my head in shame in the choice of the used truck. Bad thing is it was a 72yr old man, trust worthy I thought. He was selling the truck because he couldn't drive any longer, 1 oner, truck is immaculate, 125k, has all service records. It doesn't overheat, runs strong, no misfire. The day I went to see it the coolant was neon greenish, so I'm thinking he had it serviced that morning, it's been about 4 weeks now. When you say stop leak, is that for water/cooling system leaks? Before I even read this morning I had somebody tell me over the phone sounds like somebody used to much stop leak. I'll change it out and flush the radiator this weekend and take it from there and report back thank you for the input.

Yes it is for cooling system leaks and as long as it is used just for that it is fine but usually they are trying to plug a blown head gaskets with it and so they add way too much, it may stop or may not stop the blown head gasket but by then it has already started to plug up things you don't want plugged like eater cores, radiator cooling tubes and even some of the smaller cooling passages inside the engine, not to mention what it does to thermostats and water pumps.

I have a question, after looking at more forums is it possible maybe somebody mixed with the mfg coolant, as it had a neon green coolant when i looked at it (maybe he topped off the fluids) and if thats mixed with mfg orange stuff im reading it looks horrible, worse then a blown gasket, cause it is looking less like oil or milk more like Italian dressing......

Still get that stuff flushed out, then see what happens. I have seen the pelletized bars leak look like when too much is used.

It was a coolant mix of 2 types, all is good now, flushed and thermostat replaced.

All Right, glad it wasn't a blow head gasket.