My air conditioner is blowing hot air

35

Asked by Aug 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM about the 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Quad Cab SB 4WD

All of a sudden hot air start blowing from my air conditioner. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. My husband put freon in it. But I only get cold air when I am driving on the highway, and it just for certain length of times. How can this be fix.

perhaps the husband has over-charged the system...even so, if the hermetic seal has been comprimized to where you needed more freon, you're going to need a new filter/drier which removes all moisture from any air that may be present....My toyota's air conditioning works better than ever after 7 years of not doin' a thing to it...that's the joy of hermetically sealed systems....think of the reliability of your refrigerator....your car a/c is the same way...unless it is icing the condenser I wouldn't mess with it...have the system evacuated, install a new filter/dryer...vacuum the air out and refill with refrigerant think it's 14pounds for a passenger car~ ~

116,525

Also check to see if electric radiator fan is coming on when truck is at an idle and ac is on. If its not determine why. It should come on when truck idling and ac is on. If fan is coming on then I would suggest to go to an ac tech have them pull a vacuum on system and check for leaks. My ac tech does not charge to perform this test. If no leaks detected he will properly refill system for you for about $50.

35

Thank you so much for answering so quickly. I will go to an AC tech in the morning. I drive my truck for my job, and it is to hot in Houston to just have a window down for air. Again, thank you.

7,125

if it only gets cold while driving at highway speeds it is actually under charged, if it was overcharged it would work while at idle and pressure would be to high while driving.

110

@chris, what does it mean to be under charged? Does that mean there is not enough freon in it? My truck is doing the same thing

320

mine is doing the same except it works while driving no matter what and then when I stop at a red light or something or put it in park it starts blowing hot air..... idk what the problem is someone help us fix our trucks! I want to know if its a simple fix or something that's going to burn a hole in my pocket which I cant do because I just had back surgery!

116,525

Drew check your electric fan on drivers side under hood. With truck running and ac on this fan should be on when idling. Just had to replace the one in my 2007. This is typically the issue when ac blows cold while driving but not cold when you are stopped.

305

5/2/15, Surenough, I have the same issue with my 2008 Ram 1500. While parked the AC was blowung warm air, so I checked this fan on the driver side next to the radiator and it was not running. Turned off the ignitiin, gave the fan a couple of funger turns, wigled the cinecting wire harness and cranked it back on. The fan came on and the AC is blowing cold air wgile in park. Now, how long will this work, how much does it cost to replace the fan, can I do it with non mechanic skills? Boricua

50

I had the same problem with my AC. I'm a minor mechanic and was able to change the fan with some work. I went to a junk yard and got the electric fan for $50. I had to use a dremel tool and cut away a part of the plastic surrounding the shroud of the fan where the AC lines go into the condenser. Then I took off the support that the hood latches to and took the upper radiator hose off because you will need the room. The hose leaked about a gallon of fluid. There are only 4 bolts that hold the ring in place and was able to get to them with my impact and a u joint. Took me about 3 hours total. Good luck.

70

I had the same problem with my 06 hemi charger rt The problem is the ac controller That part go bad and once u change it the ac will work just fine

110

Before you change out any parts. Try checking/replacing the condenser fan fuse. I had the same problem (no AC at idle), due to the fan not coming on. I spent 5 bucks on a fuse and 5 min replacing it and the problem was resolved.

330

Where is the condenser / fan fuse located on a 2003 Ràm 1500? My Haines manual talks about fuse #16 (which tests good) but the manual mentions "PTC. NO 1 @ 7.1 @ 7.5A. Where is thàt? --- PhilMan

130

I am wanting to buy a 2004 dodge ram 1500 and the a/c started to only give hot air the guy is a licensed a/c certified tech. he replaced the little fan and tried again the air was getting better, but still had hot air. He told me that he needs to charge it with freon to get it running, my question is will this work or will I need to put more money into it than just that.

20

My 2007 is doing the same thing but now it's also overheating please help

140

My daughter's does the same thing although now it doesn't ever blow cold. But at first it would be cold then she would brake and it would go to hot air. She would have to turn off and then back on after about 30 seconds and would be cold again until she hit the brakes.

50

Its more than likely your electric air condition fan in the front. Mine just started doing the same thing. I have a 2006 dodge ram. And it used to freeze you out now it only blows cold when you are driving. Because the air turns the fan when you are driving. I took it to an honest mechanic and he said my fan is out and for some reason it's blowing the fuse when I try to run it. So he unplugged it and it still blows cold when I'm driving down the highway. He wanted to charge me 250.00 but now that I have seen the fan is only between 60 to 85 bucks. And watched a few videos on YouTube I'm going to do it myself this weekend. Hope the best of luck to you all

60

My ram is blowing hot and sometimes cold due to a vacuum issue actually door shuts when I hit brakes when I step on Gasome it blows cold sometimes. Can't find vacation leak so how to keep door in box open

875

Radiator blocked

20

In the 2008 it has a separate condenser and fan motor the fan should always run when the AC is on if not it will blow hot when idoling and cool off a little driving down the road and non condensables in the system will blow cold just not cold enough

120

My 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Hemi 5.7ltr engine is blowing hot air. Initially the compressor stopped turning and of course the whole truck stopped running because of it. We replaced it and (my husbands friend) and it ran for about 2 months and now it is blowing hot air. The compressor is still turning because the belt is still turning hence the truck is still running, but it is blowing hot air. I am wondering if he just didn't charge the ac enough.

30

I turn on the A/C to my Ram 1500 and the Clutch will not energize until I tap on it and then it engauges but compressor is on, still no cold air coming out, did add 2 can of 134A Freon.

40

I have a similar problem with my 2009 Dodge Ram. Sometimes when I start truck air gets hot for short or long periods and then all of a sudden cold air comes on and normally stays that way. If i turn truck off it will start back warm/hot air. I am thinking control head because I get cold air, just cant predict when.

70

I fixed this issue The problem is that the cluster of the car has some conenctions that would lead to an ac falling When i had a warm air i just tap on tye clister and it will work So check that, tap on the cluster and if the ac started to blow cold air then you need to change the instrument cluster. Thank u md hope you get it fixed

10

It is very possible your fan clutch. This is very common, cause they run at different speeds via vicious oil that puts more or less pressure on clutch according to the temp of thermal spring controlling the speed. good luck

20

I have a 2006 dodge 1500 and my ac relay is built in. where can I find one and how much it costs