2006 ram 1500 randomly dies while driving

110

Asked by Mar 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM about the 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Mega Cab SB 4WD

I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 hemi, it recently started dying on me while driving and there is no
pattern to it, it will start right back up afterwards. I have no idea what it could be. The truck is throwing no codes

I'd have to say at the outset, break out the garden hose and remove any corrosion where the ground cable 0/1 battery cable bolts to your chassis/ground, be sure it's metal on metal and can support 300 cold cranking amps, next the 0/1 battery connection to the block so the starter can get the power it needs, wirebrush the battery connections and terminals as well as the little lolipop with a hole in it positive side connector. Load Test and charge up the battery to make sure it still has enough life left in it 7year old battery can be marginal- this is your problem...intermittent ground...final diagnosis...gavel down

Best Answer
110

I did what you suggested, and my truck didnt die all day, and on the last stretch home it died twice, any other suggestions ?

died as in no electrical spark, or staved of fuel, or bad combustion?

I'd suggest a bad cap or rotor, but this vehicle has neither- just some coil packs and high-voltage wires...you might check the resistance between the coil packs (if they are arranged like a cavalier) have to acquaint myself with the systems on your truck now- coil packs...prime suspect-

110

Just turns off like electrically shut off..restarts normally first attempt. I will try the coil pack today

if it's an OEM battery, it's curtains for it anyways, why not pony up for a real good one like an Interstate which carries a guarantee, pro-rating on your existing one (which ain't worth nothin' but scrap value)~

battery is Kaput! replace~

60

I have a dodge ram 2005 6cyl. 3.7, i have start up problems, it starts fine, but then if i go somewhere, shut it off then it won;t start again , then sometimes it start without any problem, it is really intermittent. can anyone out there help me please?

20

I have a 2010 1500 4x4 Laramie and mine did the same thing. I replace my plugs first thinking this was the cheapest solution but that didn't work. My old plugs looked really good and the truck shut off while driving, again. I checked my fuel and it was good. I checked for any loose connection on the starter and every where else I could think of and all seemed to be fine. I finally replaced my ECM/PCM as my last resort, but also because after shopping I walked outside and my truck was "running"!!!! It fixed the shut off problem and everything else, for months anyways. Now just last night it started again shutting off while driving. I can only hope that it's the ECM / PCM again and maybe it's under warranty. I bought it at the dodge dealership so here's keeping my fingers crossed!

60

I had the same problem with my 1996 Ram 1500. A diagnostic test was performed by a Dealer and it was revealed that a Sensor was bad.

20

06 ram 4.7 died while driving cleaned IAC, new egr still died. Got under truck evap box by the gas tank had a large vacuum line had got grease on it and expanded put a clamp on it has not died in over a year so far. 25cent fix but works well.

120

Hello Cupcake5 it would be great to know what sensor was bad

15

Crank shaft sensor most lokely

15

I had this Problem was 6 months to track it down ended up as a vacuum leak around my Map Sensor put a little silicon around were it seals and have not had any issue now for over a year. Hope this helps.

I have a 1999 dodge Durango it started cutting off out of no where and would start back up but now it's taking longer to start back up

It's the fuel pump going bad

What happens when my 2005 dodge Durango gets to hot then when I stop put water in it now won't start why not

20

I've read that this is s dealer recall problem with the safety. The dealer says it has something to do with a voltage spike in a sensor for the airbags. It shuts off to keep your airbags from deploying. I have yet to get dealer to fix mine because of a back order on part to fix problem

I have same problem already done Recall AND tune up Been to dealer twiced headed there again If this is such a problem why the hell hasnt dodge done something?And my girlfriend has a 2008 300 Hemi doing samething Same story dealer cant Figure it out..Guess I made bad judgement going from Chevy truck to a Dodge

I have an 06 1500 and it's not starting. Has fuel spark crank and combustion but dosnt stay running for more than a second or two. No major codes cylinder 2 misfire and temp sensor but nothing else . Battery is good replaced it checked maf its good intake is clean fuel rail has gas, I'm running out of ideas someone said might be map sensor but I don't want to replace random parts without conformation they don't work

CHECK THIS...CHECK THIS....my truck would die right after start or once in a while while driveing for no reason?? The "weight of my key chain was turning the ignition off" the slightest preasure turned off the ignition.....with the continious smooth wearing operation of many starts over the years. Also the ignition key also would intermittently frezz at times (not turning) so i would have to tap the end of the key in the direction of the coloumn, to release. Thank you readers for telling me what you tried so i looked else where. Good Job

I had problems with my 07 Ram1500, 4.7 intermittently stalling and throwing random DTC codes. The wiring harness from the computer runs over the back of the passenger side cylinder head. Over time the harness rubs and gets hot causing problems with the wiring. On mine it was the sensor feedback wire that was causing problems. Taped it up good and zip tied the harness to the transmission dipstick tube. Problem solved. Originally found this by wiggling the harness around back there with the truck running, and it killed the engine.