HARD TO NO START

ROSCOERF
30

Asked by May 05, 2013 at 03:42 AM about the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab SB 4WD

I have an 05 Dodge Ram with a 5.7 hemi 145K miles starts hard but only with the gas pedal on the floor when started runs like there is a miss in the engine. NO fault codes I have changed the cam and crank sensor to no avail.

When you say 'hard to start' and 'foot on the floor' in the same sentence I think something....the car is designed to start without throttle. You should start it without touching the gas petal. The computer knows what to do to start it. Ignore this if that is what you do...sorry I just don't know if you do or not.

ROSCOERF
30

When the truck was starting correctly I never touch the gas pedal when tbe hard to start issue started its the only way I could get the engjne to start.

Bradley Shelledy
1,265

all routine maintainence is current. all filters are clean? Have you checked the fuel pump relay? air filter? ect?

Danny Hayes
845

Could be an Idle air control valve, a throttle position sensor, MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure) I'll bet on the IAC.

Danny Hayes
845

By the way, an IAC won't give a code

jose3709
50

Ok guy. Here is the answer to the question. You have a bad injector or more then one. The injector have a leek and is why your truck won't start unless you press the gas. To find out you have to pull the rail with the 4 injectors. And put key to on position with out start the truck. And put a paper under neat the injectors to see with wet the paper. And it be that one.

jose3709
50

My truck was like that. And every body suggest all kind Of stuff. But nno one tough about the injectors. I only had one bad injector. Cost me less then 60 dollars at autozone.

boutdone
10

Hello, My son has a 2004 Dodge Ram with the small V8. If it set for more than 30 minutes then it will crank for up to 30 seconds before it will start. Like the earlier person suggested, putting the pedal to the firewall helps some. We have changed about everything in the fuel system but the injectors. It does make sense that the pressure is bleeding off. Occasionally black smoke does appear on start up which also sounds like injectors. Many people around have similar problem.

jose3709
50

Seem like that is your problem. One or more injectors. Are bad. In order to check that. Pull the rail with the 4 injectors on one side, put the key to on position without starting the truck, all injectors must be dry. If any injector is wet with gasoline That means that injector is bad, and needs to be replace. Do the same presses to check the other side of the injectors. I hope this help.

hadim25
10

Fuel pump or injector is the problem

Jimmy_B76
20

I have the same issue. Imagine that. So to make this short and sweet has anyone tried any of these suggestions that actually worked? And wouldnt the injectors have a code? I just dont want to do any damage to anything. Getting personal now. Lol Thanks for all help. Just dont want to get stuck somewhere. The camshaft and crankcase sensor is what i was gonna do. Cause i know it has everything to do the the timing. And thats why i was gonna replace the 2. Thanks Jim

Sean Jolley
20

I had a leaking head gasket on my 04 1500 5.7 hemi. I had heads checked and they were fine. I replaced all the gaskets on the top end. And now the truck won't start unless I hood the throttle to the floor. When it does start it sounds like it's missing and won't stay running unless I hold down on the throttle. The truck was running perfect minus the leaking head gasket before I tore it down and fixed the leak. I've checked the injectors, I've tested for vacuum leaks, and have no engine codes. Need help.

Justin Hamill
0

I'm having all of the above issues what would be going on???