Why won't the interior lights come on when driver's side doors are opened?

55

Asked by Nov 06, 2014 at 01:52 PM about the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab LB

Over the period of a year, my interior lights would flicker on/off depending on position of the driver's door, and ultimately stopped coming on when the driver's door was opened.  Just recently this extended to when the driver's side rear seat passenger door was open.  The interior lights would and still come on when either the front or rear passenger side doors were opened.  Fuses were checked (only fuse box I could find was in the engine compartment, is there a fuse box location in the cab?)   Also the chime for "headlights on and key removed from steering column" when the driver's door was open no longer functioned.  At the recommendation of Dodge, we replaced the driver's door latch.  Still no interior lights or headlights on chime.  

Recently I had a fog light bulb burn out, but the lampout indicator on the instrument panel did not illuminate.  I bring this up because for a while the lampout indicator would illuminate when I would move the shifter handle from Park to any other position, but that no longer happens as well.  Are all these indicators linked somehow?  I realize it is possible the bulb on the instrument panel may be out for the lampout indicator.  If so, does anyone have any suggestions on what it might be?  I'm not interested in paying the dealer for a diagnostics or repair to only have them recommend something else that doesn't solve the problem.

90

on your door open and no light on check your door frame for a button because that would keep the light and chime from turning on, also refer to your owners manual for all locations of fuse boxes. the fuse boxes on these newer vehicles are under the hood and also under the dash on the drivers side.

55

I checked my door frames and around the hinges and there aren't any buttons to activate the interior light and chime. I also referred to my owners manual and it only lists the fuse and relay center in the engine compartment. Thank you for your answer though. Oh, and I did look up under the dash on the driver's side where you'd expect to see the second fuse box. There isn't a panel labelled fuses or even a panel to pull open like on the side of the lower dash that faces the driver's door.

10

Same here. No interior fuse box. No interior lights, but only back drivers door. All other doors activate lights properly. And no button of any sort to activate interior lights. Is it done by magnets by any chance?

30

Open your door and peel back the rubber boot protecting the wires that run from the cab to the door. The wires are barely long enough and after repeated opening/ closing they kink and break.

30

I had to take my interior door panel off to disconnect the wire harness and fed it back through the door frame so I had enough slack to repair the broken wires

20

I am having this same problem. I will pull the door panel to see if I can find a break. But this all started after having the heating core and blower replace. They had to go into the dash 5 time and on the last time is when this problem started. Any thoughts?

10

I am also having this issue. Only difference with mine is that it will work sometimes and not others. Doesn't matter what door I open, doesn't matter if all doors are open. Even when I'm driving and I turn the dimmer all the way up to turn on my dome light, it won't turn on. I have a 2016 1500 ecodeisel trademen (only the 1 light overhead). I'm taking it to the dealership today. I will follow up with y'all when they solve this issue.

30

29mpgdiesel2016 let me know what they discover. My previous repair statement was for my 2006 2500. I have traded it for a 2010 2500 which has an interior lighting issue. Lights won't illuminate with doors opened, glove box and vanity lights in sun visors won't work. Have gone over wiring diagrams and have traced issue back to the instrument cluster. If I unplug harnesses from cluster and plug back in everything works properly for a short period of time (open/ close glovebox or doors maybe a dozen times) before they all quit working again

30

I own a 2010 Ram 1500 and my problem is that the dome lights will not turn on when the doors are closed and I press the switches. This is the case for both front lights and the rear light. When I open any of the doors, the lights come on and I can still turn them off by pressing the switches. I can also turn them on by rotating the dimmer switch to the full-on position. I'm guessing the cause is in the computer somehow. I have been the only owner of my truck and have had this problem off-and-on since it was new. There have been occasions when all of the lights worked normally, but at the moment, they do not. Any advice?

30

I found the cause to my problem! Apparently, the lights in my vanity mirrors are tied in with the dome lights. The lights in my driver's side vanity mirror haven't worked since about a year after I bought my truck, but I played around with them today and got my dome lights to work again. I will tear into the wiring more when I get a chance to find where the connection is intermittent and put a permanent fix to it!