I just called my local Dodge dealer parts department looking for a neutral safety switch for my 2004 Dodge truck. They told me that they don't have a part number for this. I was told that this part was possibly the reason that my truck won't start or even turn over. What should I do now? My NAPA dealer is ready to sell me one.

Asked by Feb 09, 2015 at 09:05 AM about the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab SB 4WD

My truck won't turn over much less start.  The battery is fully charged and lights come on
strong.  I wrote earlier about this and was told it was probably the neutral safety switch
that was causing this.  As you can see from the question above, the parts department
says my truck doesn't have a neutral safety switch listed.  My NAPA dealer has two
different switches listed for sale.  What am I to do now?

It might be that the starter has gone bad

what is the engine size and is it 2WD or 4WD

It's a four wheel drive and the engine size is 4.7L. Also, when I had a tow truck come to get it, and I had to get the truck in neutral at the column and at the transfer case, it suddenly started when I tried the key just for the heck of it. That trick hasn't worked since.

does it click under the dash and have you tried to tap on the starter while the ignition is in the start position and have you checked the fuse

It doesn't click under the dash, I've had someone tap on the starter while in the start position and the fuse appears to be good. The one weird thing that happened was, when it started for some reason with the tow truck here, I drove around, bought gas, stopped and started it a few times, my outside temperature reading in my truck said it was 120 degrees outside. It was January in Michigan. I don't know if this helps or not but just thought I'd add this info.

is there power at the starter when the key is in the start position

That I do not know.

check then get back

Do I need to have someone turn the key all the way over and hold it there while I check for power?

Ok. I'll have to wait until someone gets home. In the meantime, thank you so much for all your help.

Locate your neutral safety switch, one style has 3 electrical connections and the other has 5 electrical connections. Your parts guy at your Dodge dealer doesn't know what he is doing. The part is a neutral safety switch / range sensor. Ask for another parts man at the dealer.

Possible part numbers 56028181, 56028181AB, 56045489AA, 56045489AC, listed as Switch - Neutral Safety Backup

Best Answer Mark helpful

I have located the part in a Battle Creek dealer. I also found out that the book calls for 1.9 hours for install. Is this a difficult task or can someone with better than average skills do the job?

The part goes on the transmission somewhere, but I have no helpful information as to where. I am wondering if 1.9 hours means something has to come off such as exhaust or cross member. Crawl under your truck and find the switch and maybe then you can decide if you want to do the repair or the dealership. Best of luck.

I received an answer that leads me to believe that this repair is best left to the dealership. But I wanted you to know that I really appreciated the time you have taken to help me out. Hope you have a great week and thank you.

I hope it fixes the problem!