Any ideas about engine noise on v8 hemi ? At first I thought it was an air leak somewhere on the intake side but ruled that out with inspection. Best way I can describe it is like radio interfence.

Asked by Oct 13, 2011 at 02:08 PM about the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab SB 4WD

It seems to adjust it's sound with engine rpm. I happened to notice a late model Neon driving by my that made the same noise. I have 60k miles on it and it is in otherwise great shape. I haven't noticed any performance loss either.

instead of your typical V8 with 8 sparkplugs, HEMI engines have 16 spark plugs. one set of 8, is what are called coil on plug (no traditional spark plug wires) the other set of 8 is a traditional setup with wires. on my moms 07 durango some of the wires had there coating melted, and what sounded like radio interference was the wires arcing. id check those out first, you wont necessarily notice a loss in power, but you may notice a loss in gas mileage.

it has a coil and plug wire on each cylender,one may be bad,if you can have it at idle pull one plug wire at a time,it will run rough unpluged,plug back do this on each one,if one is bad it will not change the way it idles,problem found.a bad coil will cause radio interference on your truck.if you cant handle the spark from it,get a rubber handel plug wire puller at any parts store.about $12.00.Dont know what the hell the other poster is yacking about????

you pretty much just restated exactly what i said. but i do agree with you that a bad wire, or coil could cause radio interference for sure. but i think what hes trying to say is, the noise the truck is making sounds like radio interference but isnt. hence why i said he could have a few melted wires like my moms durango did. im not disagreeing with you at all here though. either one of us could be right on his problem

we not on the same page about nothing,take a hint.

i think you need to stop attending the westboro baptist church, theyve turned you into a keyboard warrior

Your right I'm not getting actual radio noise. Just was trying to describe the sound that is occuring as the motor speeds up as similar to that. I've changed the plugs since this started happening and and I did inspect all the wires. Nothing is obvious, let's say that. It sounds like it's more in the front of the engine, AC compressor, tensioner or maybe one of the idler pulleys. I was hoping someone had been through the swap out process so I could start there first. Hmmmm I'll have to see if I can disable the cooling fan and probably could pinpoint it a little closer. Thanks for your thoughts.