2004 Dodge Ram will not Start

Asked by Mar 13, 2012 at 03:33 PM about the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab SB

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 that will not start. Currently the vehicle is at the auto shop and they still cant find out the issue. The issue has happened twice of which the last time the vehicle has yet to start in over two weeks. This is what occurs. When I turn the key in the ignition nothing happens. All the necessary start up lights come on however the gauges do not work. Also ive noticed that the gear shift selector (square that illuminates whether your in park, drive, neutral etc) is not present. When the key is at start I can also move the gear shifter out of park without pressing the brake. Cannot do this normally. The first time this occurred we had the tow truck come and as we were pushing the car out of the driveway to put on the truck (had a hard time turning the steering wheel to get it line up with the tow truck) I heard a chime and the gear selector square appeared. I immediately was able to move the steering wheel with no trouble at all and I was able to start the vehicle. I immediately took the vehicle and had it placed on a machine at the dealer to diagnose the problem. The main thing that came up was the Front control module. As I was awaiting the part the vehicle did it again. This time we were not able to replicate what we did by pushing and turning the wheel. Had the vehicle towed to the dealer and they tried to put back on the machine and nothing registered. They changed out the front control module and still nothing. Ive seen many who had the issues previously but have yet to see what has caused this. Please help

405

it sounds like the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch under the dash are no comunicating with the comp. try replacing them my 02 ram did that 3 years ago and that solved my problem.

25

I had the same problem the first time my mechcanic replaced the Ignition switch it worked for two days. He then replaced the Neutral safety switch again worked for two days. Then he replaced the relay switch and it worked for 1 day. While trying to get the vehicle started a guy come over to help me. We try all the things that worked before nothing.While his head was under the hood I started to pump the brakes and he heard several relays clicking and I tried starting the vehicle and it stared right up. Back to the Mechanic in the moirning.