02 Dodge Ram shaking

580

Asked by Jan 04, 2011 at 03:47 PM about the 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab SB 4WD

Today on the way to school the truck was driving just find, then on the way to a class at the community college the truck was still running great. Got to the college just fine and was there for 2 hours 15 min and the truck was just sitting. On the way back home on the highway I would get up to about 50-55 mph and the truck would start to shake really bad. Got it up to 75 mph (speed limit) and the shaking slowed down but was still there. Fuel light was on so I put 25 bucks in the tank which gave it half a tank. Went to pick my sisters up from school and on the way back when I got up to about 45 mph it started shaking again pretty badly. (checked the front left tire when I got to the school and everything seems good there, front left is where it seems the shaking is starting.) When I got the truck home, we discovered that the power steering fluid was just about empty. We are letting the truck cool and then putting more fluid back into it. We have checked and the truck is completely out of 4wd. I am hoping that the power steering fluid is the only problem but does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help.

35

If the power steering isnt the problem, you should check the u-joints in the driveshaft they may be tight.

580

Just got in from driving it, turns out steering fluid wasn't the problem. If I keep it in drive and just let it roll on its own (not touching brake or gas) it vibrates quite a bit, 0-30 no vibration, 30-40 slight vibration, 40-60 hard vibration but ONLY if I have my foot on the gas, if I take my foot off the gas, no vibration, if I push harder on the gas, vibration stops, just a slight push on the gas causes vibration and its a pretty good vibration. All tires are up to the PSI they should be (35 psi) and lugs are tight.

580

Check engine light is on, Flashes when accelerating which is also when the shaking/vibrating is occurring, after driving has a smell to it but can't really tell what it smells like, dad took it for a drive on lunch break and determined its something in the engine not something to do with the tires/wheels.

1,115

with you having an 02, i wont be much help most likely, i wont get anything newer than my 96, but you might check your harmonic balancer, your driveshaft might be bent, dented, out of balance, you may be losing something in the motor, might not have all cylinders firing, or possibly delayed firing, check all your spark plugs, you could have a warped valve? spun a bearing?

1,315

check your tie rod ends. i have a loose left front, it gets wobbly at same speeds from it

1,315

or your belt and pulleys

80

I am sure you figured this out by now, but before your truck began shaking I bet for the last couple of weeks you have heard a stutter squeak while you were driving. You probably thought it was your brakes or something......It is/was your universal joint. Very inexspensive, $15.00, and a little bit of a pain replacing it. But a heheck of alot better than what it could of been.

15

If yoour check engine light it flashing u have a skip in the engine going on check the plugs. Or check the balance on the tires

220

Hello, I have a dodge Ram 1500 2009 5.7L 4X4. When I drive this truck at speed of 55 or 60mph the car is start shaking and the check engine flushing. I put new spare plugs, new coils check the compression of cylinders they are good.

220

I did everything I couldn't fix this truck anyone can help me to fix this truck in here please??. I took it to dodge dealer they work on it for 2 weeks and they didn't find the problem. thanks Dani

220

The code is P0303 multi cylinder misfiring then it goes from cylinder 3 to cylinder#6. I don't know what is going on with truck.

155

I have same. Plms when. Drive it shake. And. It not the tires. Or. Balance I had. Man look at it he. Said it weird and. When I drive in highway like 65 and it kill me. Won't go but it still run and. Pull over. Turn key off and. Turn back on it run movie fine then do again and what wrong. Shop said weird sow hat ur answer?

100

did u guys figure out the shaking at 50 i have the same problem flashing check engine light and all

50

I have a 2003 1500 and I have the same problem. I have replaced two of the tires, the rear u joint, and all the plugs and coils and it still does it. now it is telling me it is misfiring on all cylanders. hopefully someone can be the savior here!!

60

Hi I have a1999 chevy silverado. It's extended cab long box. I have the 5.3l in it 4wd. 160k miles on it. My problem is is that when I get to higher speeds (45+ mph) my truck shakes. 45-55 slightly shakes. 55- 70 feels like I'm going over rumble strips on the hwy. anything over 70 back to slightly vibe rates. If I keep on the gas it viberates/shakes. If I let off the gas (coast) the truck stops viberating. Step on gas to maintain speed starts vibe rating. It feels like the whole truck shakes but at higher speeds steering wheel viberates. I checked the u joints and they seem to be ok. The truck seems to run/idle fine. I have changed the inner and outter tie rid ends. On both sides. Any help would be great

155

pls chek ur spidler fuel efi sysem f rist i found the plms was it feel liek same way it the efi spider under mainfold intake u not get any enought gas that why i run like it i has same plms i took to shop they said tired i said no i and he drive it and i give up replace it it run much n\better

155

after i replace it it run much better i has same plms with it efi spider worn out send u pic that was caught it it not make any sense i took back shop i said now no more he said what i show him and he felt same way after i change it stoped that my quess

60

Ok I will try that. If I don't replace that part right away what's the chances I'll break something?

60

Would it be something I can fix on a day off also or something that take awhile. Or something I should take to a shop?

155

it very easy to replace it but price it almost 350 dollars for those i replace my self it when fine after that good run it wll run like that will mess up ur fuel styetem and u will send up stuck on raod it happen to me i give up replace it iw ould fine in junk yard it hard find it ifg u have $$$$$$$$ get new one if get fron junk yard let me know if work ok it work for me i never had plms with it

155

it take 3 hour work on it it up to u

60

How long do you think I would have before I need to get this done this is my only every day driver and don't have off of work for another tree days

155

it took me one day email me jlorshbaugh@gmail.com ok

60

I looked up on how to change the efi spider in my truck and it said that you would know because there would be rough idle sputtering. And misfiring. The motor itself is running perfect nice and smooth

20

Did any of you find the solution to the ram? Because I'm having the same problem on my 04. My 04 does it when I'm going 90 mph or letting the rpms go

130

Oh my GOD! You people NEED to learn how to not only TALK English... you need to learn how to SPELL it TOO!!! This is terrible!!! I have a '02 RAM 3500 van with BAD vibration at idle AND while driving... after reading all this, I think I'm just going to go torch the motherf@€%£ to the ground...

50

I agree. I thought I was on a 3rd world country's auto repair forum with all the broken English!

100

Plenum intake gasket take your air cleaner setup off your throttle body open flaps shine a flashlight in look for oil on the bottom plenum gasket is extremely common on dodges I haven't changed it yet on mine but I have oil in plenum I'm gonna put in hughs kit with new plate

10

Honestly, i have the same problem in my 04 ram... my buddy had the problem as well, cat converter was clogged. Replaced it, ran like new.

30

I have a 96 with a 5.9l it done the same thing it has a blow by on the number 8 cylinder it just fowls the plug it could last 5 years before it does it again or 5 days

20

I have a 96 Ram 2500 Van. Starts shaking at 40-45 but stops when I let off of the gas. I was told its the transmission. Its in the shop now, and i'm waiting to get it back.

90

I found this forum with similar problems on my '03 Dodge Ram. As far as proper "English," I do not care how broken a person's English is, a good mechanic or a tip to help anyone out, regardless of which country the advice is coming from, IS the purpose of forums like this. I spent 26 years in the Marine Corps and grew up in Texas, trust me, the best builders, electricians and mechanics would never post in a forum like this because of the ridicule due to their poor speaking or spelling skills. Stop complaining about someone's inability to communicate as efficiently as you prefer.

80

Hi can anyone help me my dodge ram 1500 1997 4wd when ever I drive like 30 or 40 miles my truck starts to vibrate bad can Anyone help

30

I'm going with the catalytic converter as well. When u try to accelerate and its sputtering and cutting out, the check engine light flashes. Sometimes it will run smoother, but it will get to a point where it just gets worse. And the smell is from the catalytic converter being clogged as well. If u don't change it, you can have it get hot enough to start a fire under ur vehicle eventually. Had that issue in an 03 dodge pickup and an 01 Dodge Durango. Catalytic converter being changed fixed both

54,585

I'm going with this is a 4 year old post and the original poster has not returned.

I have an 04 dodge 1500 5.7L with almost 400.000 Kim's. It used to shake like crazy at 100 kms/ hr. I replaced the tires, rotors, calipers, steering rack and outer tie rod ends. It doesn't shake anymore. Small expense for a truck of this age.

Did anyone figure out the cause of this?

10

I would like to know also, 99 1500 4x4 doing the exact same thing. I'm starting to wonder why there hasn't been a mass recall....

10

Hey Rednov, we fixed ours, it was fuel injector.

i have been going thru the same shit with my 96 ram 1500 5.9... i have literally changed everything on this truck and can not get the vibration to go away... had local dealer install new engine, transmission, driveshaft, rearend, tires and every damn thing in between.. my conclusion is i can deal with it or junk the truck.. also i have rough idle that has yet to be explained by the dealer

Flexplate throwing off the balance possibly

30

My 2002 Dodge 1500 has the intermittent vibrations too, a a few speeds, touch the brake under constant gas pedal pressure and it goes away, U joints OK, brakes too, just found that disabling overdrive appears to stop it. Now fucusing on tranny....Hank

30

another weird thing, when at highway speeds, and accelerator held steady touch the brake, the RPMs increase...just weird..H

I have the same issue on my 03 dodge ram 1500. Im kinda surprised there hasnt been a more specific answer to the problem. Is it tranny solenoids? Torque converter? efi? My shudder only happens at 45-55 mph. once it hits 45mph the rpms drop to 1000, then shuddering starts like it didnt downshift. If I floor it it powers through once rpms climb above 2000. I know I need to change plugs and coils but Im worried that shudder will foul out the plugs or damage coils. So can anyone help pin point the issue?

30

tranny mount !! change the tranny mount its worn out that's the problem guaranteed !!

30

Will give it a look see, thanks!