low gear and overdrive does not work

Asked by Aug 23, 2012 at 07:48 AM about the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2 Dr SLT Standard Cab LB

I disconnected battery cable, changed the transmission relay in black box under hood.  Waited around
20 t0 30 minutes and reconnected battery. Seemed to work, started out in low gear, shifted to
second gear and third. When it should have shifted into overdrive, the check engine light came back
on and everything stopped working. Will start out in third gear, you can manually start in second gear
and move shiffter in to drive and it will shift to third, but will not manually pull down to first gear or
will not shift out to overdrive.  Anyone have a answer?

3,400

Have the transmission input and output sensors tested. These are notorious in Chrysler products and will cause your trans to go into limp mode.

11,965

Its the govenor pressure sensor.

18,235

It's in limp mode. Transmission work is difficult and has no room for error. Take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Start by having the codes read.

1,525

I'd agree with Andrew and Dan seems to really know what he's doing but yes the truck is in limp mode and you really need to get your codes checked but once you have the codes you'll have much more info especially if you take the raw codes and google them and you can get a bunch of useful information. I have an app on my android called torque which will read the codes for you and also if you tell it to it will search the code info online. all you need is a bluetooth obdII dongle to use this app.

11,965

Third is what the transmission defaults too in the event that it either loses its electrical power, a sensor malfuctions, or the TCM sees the torque converter clutch slipping during TCC lock up. Your problem is with a sensor for sure, since you were able to unhook your battery, and basically dump your codes (and now that ive read it better) youre either suffering from a sensor failure, or torque converter failure. If you can stay in limp mode which is essentially 3rd gear converter locked floor it, and have it not slip, you can eliminate the torque converter as a problem because at that point you think about the torque converter similar to the clutch in a manual. Youre deffinitely having a sensor problem.

11,965

And also because (or atleast you didnt mention it if you are) the engine isnt stalling at a stop or when you put it into drive you can rule out the transmission output sensor because if that was malfunctioning the torque converter would lock up, and stall the vehicle much a manual transmission equipped vehicle stalls

my name is Wayne p0760 is the code that came up on the reader shift solenoid c is what needs replaced

20

Did you ever find out what the problem was? I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 4x4, hemi 5.7. It has 86,000 miles. It is doing the exact same thing you described. I ha e had it to several dealers and other shops. They all said transmission. Needs to be rebuilt. I paid $1650 to have it rebuilt and it is still doing the same thing. They say it's electrical and they can't fix it. Any thoughts?

10

Never listen to people like that, always go to the website and ask your question then go from there

20

I have a 2006 Dodge ram 1500. It has the hemi engine. Transmission shifts fine till we get to overdrive. The only way to make it shift into overdrive is to pop it up and you draw then back down into overdrive? Any ideal?

30

Has anybody found what the problem is for this issue? I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 he I and when I start driving it shifts fine for bout 15 miles then it will go into limp mode. If I stop and shit the truck off it will start working again for a little bit then it does it again. Please help don't know what it could be. Change the fluid and filter and still doing it

70

I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L that started acting up years ago. Because it sounds very similar to these issues I will tell you what it does and then tell you how I deal with it. One day I went to use it and I shifted it into Drive but when I went to take off it seemed as though it was starting out in 2nd. I took off down the road and it would not shift into Drive. I turned around and drove it back home where I connected my code reader. I don't remember the code right now but it said the Governor Positioning Sensor & Solenoid were acting up. After talking to a relative mechanic he told me those sometimes stick in cold weather and since it was late Fall I figured that was the problem. I looked into changing them but since I had no hoist and the drain pan had no plug I figured I would wait until Spring. I let the vehicle warm up good and then before taking off I decided to run the transmission thru the gears D-N-R... R-N-D... back & forth with my foot on the brake to loosen up the sticking items. This time when I put the vehicle into drive and headed down the road it worked fine. Needless to say when Spring came I was so use to doing this procedure that I neglected fixing the issue. That was approximately 7 to 10 years ago and I am still driving the truck. Only thing is in cold weather I work it thru the gear about 10 times before taking off and for the most part it works fine. Once in a while I will get down the road and it might act up and I just pull over work the gears and it's good to go. I wonder how many trucks were junked because of this issue and some mechanic shop telling the owner their transmission was shot. I do plan on replacing those parts some day when I have nothing else to do... if I don't wear out the truck first. Hope this help some people and save you lots of money in un- needed repairs.