01 Dodge Ram 1500

Asked by Aug 04, 2016 at 08:56 PM about the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2 Dr SLT Quad Cab SB

01 Dodge Ram 1500 will only start with starter fluid then
die off. Checked the pressure on the fuel rails and it's at
about 50 psi. Checked the ohms to all of my injectors and
they all read about 14. Ran fine one day. Then 3 days later
all this started happening... What's my problem

Have you checked for injector power at the injectors and trigger signal from the ECM?

How would I go about checking that?

First check the injection fuse just in case it is blown, then unplug each injectors and check for 12 volts on one side of the plug, once you have check and confirmed power then hook up an analog volt meter set to handle at least 12 volts to the plug connections and crank the engine you should get a swinging needle, don't worry about voltage you just want a swing of the needle. So if you have both of those and good fuel and compression it should fire and run.

I'm not getting power to the fuel injectors, I don't see that there is a fuse in the fuse box, I pellets the injectors and fuel rail up and turned it over to see and nothing.

Did you check for a trigger signal from the ECM, you can check that by putting the positive end of a voltmeter on the positive side of the battery and the other end on the ground side of the injector plug and crank the engine over, the needle should swing, if it doesn't then there is either a bad connection to the ECM or you have a fried ECM. Is the check engine light on when you turn the key on?

I found out that the i.o.d fuse was busted thanks for the help

Tennisshoes Our check engine light used to be on but not anymore as of two days ago. Replaced the coil, spark plugs and wires. Replaced bad fuses, also replaced the computer and it was flashed. I can hear the fuel pump engage and just a couple of days ago I'd turn the key on and off until I could hear the fuel pump engage and then crank and it would start but wouldnt stay running. Also got the NO BuS crap after all gauges stopped blinking. But now that the check engine light isn't on I can't get the truck to start at all nor will it throw any codes.?? This has been an ongoing ordeal for almost two years but as of the end of July the truck hasn't run at all. I should explain, it will start sometimes but to drive it anywhere.... NO WAY!! leaves me stranded every time.

No check engine light at all indicates a power problem, could be wiring, grounds, even a faulty computer, no buss connection is loss of computer communications, and with that it may not even start, or if it does start it will only most likely idle and that's it, at this point in time I would say it's time to find a shop that can do a deep live data scan to find out what the sensors are showing as far as readings go if any, and the computers response if any, to those readings, then they should be able to tell you what the heck is going on. As your most likely going to have to tow the rig to the shop, call around and find out where a shop is that can do this type of scan, in some areas only the dealer can do it, so call around. It's not going to be cheap anywhere, but independant shops will give you more bag for your buck per hour.