Help' ' my dodge ram 1500 keeps turning off on me while driving battery is good no codes read at auto zone no bad wiring oil n everything up to date fuel pump is good n so is the pressure no overheat

250

Asked by Nov 10, 2013 at 02:14 AM about the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2 Dr SLT Quad Cab SB

Help

1,295

When does it die when your stopped? Does it back fire or hesitate before it dies? How often does it occur i would check ignition coil some times the windings in an old coil get weak especially because of the heat the engine creates

250

it dies when i drive or sitting at a light and it doesnt make any noise at all just shuts off by itself but the lights and power alll work could it have something to do with the radiator hose tht runs into the truck cause right now it leaks and get the computer wet could tht be it ?

720

No computer is sealed, it sits in the engine compartment, there is a few things that cn do this the easiest ans most likley is the ignition coil, follow the middle sparlplug wire in the distributor cap and it will come to the front of the engine on the right side, it will go into the coil it is very easy to change and nothing has to be set, try one out.

160

kept shutting off on me out of the blue, i thought it was going to be something serious like the computer BUT ALL IT WAS WAS A Duralast Ignition Switch form AUTOZONE. the receipt number says LS1259. Hope this helps

mine is doing the same thing, except mine is trying to gain the power to stay on, but just dies. but it will start right back up. im going to replace my ignition coils. computer says 8 is bad. and replace my mass flow air sensor in hopes that that helps.

50

Fuel cap. Mine cuts off at 1/4 tank and when I fill up. Replaced cap and all is well.

180

My 95 dodge ram 1500 keeps shutting off after driving for 15 min or so. I have replaced the ignition pick up, coil pack, Coolant temperature sensor, and igntion control sensor I believe it's called. I don't know a thing about fixing cars I just detail them lol. Can anyone help me with what it might be

110

I have the same problem on my 2010 Dodge ram have mentioned this and had it written up at over three dealerships it happened again today in the major intersection could've been in a serious accident

180

Replaced igntion switch now along with the others cts, ignition control senor. Still doing it ,

90

My 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 would cut out while driving. Always started right back up. This first occurred at just over 100k. Dealer replaced "transmission sensors" problem went away. Now with 250k same symptom. I am hunting for sensors.....

50

Everyone is saying it is the fuel filter. But I don't have the time or money to drop the tank and replace the filter, which is a lot of $$$$$

140

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi with 90,000 miles having similar issues. Will cut out after about 10 minutes from cold morning start (50 degrees) while driving. Sounds like it's trying to keep itself alive as well. Then I restart, step on the gas, and everything is fine. Has happened 2 days in a row in nearly the same location. I took it to a shop and no codes are showing. Has anyone pinpointed what the solution is yet?

30

?????? I'm stumped don't know tried almost everything

30

So I have a 95 dodge ram 1500 with the same problem I have replaced idle air control valve both front and back sensors 1 on top of the rear pumpkin and 1 on the side of the trans also cap rotor plugs wire's fuel pump and filter all 1 unit oil ignition switch sensor for abs and the tps and still no help the dash light's still on and still stalls urgh it's how we get to work and with a new baby it's hard to find time to go through every little thing help anyone

80

I have a 01 dodge ram 2500 5.9l gas. It seems like once it heats up or after driving for a bit it Stahl's out and you have to wait a bit for it to start back up. I replaced the ignition coil and it did it again today. Should I replace the ignition switch this time?

90

Throttle Control Sensor. Fixed my 05 Dodge Ram 4.7 . Same symptoms as all you guys with no codes and no help from dealer. TCS

20

When my throttle control sensor went in my 05, it went into creep mode. It's now stalling, just don't get any warning lights or lose radio, but no power anything. My mechanic likes to start simple, suggests voltage regulator/alternator/battery. Then go from there.

20

2004 dodge larime has been shutting off while driving for about a month now but always starts right back up . Took it to auto shop no code problems and tonight in 16 degree weather shut off on the highway almost causing a serious accident. Had to get it towed back home

10

hope this helps someone i have a 03 dodge ram 1500 that kept stalling at idle or take off .....turned out to be 02 sensor no codes were being thrown but asd relay kept kicking when the truck would die unplugged o2 stopped dying ...

Hey when the asd rely kicked would it only start after u put it in park and turned off the key

yeah, my truck (2003 dodge ram 4.7) only starts back up after you throw it in park and turn off the key and even then it has trouble starting back up

I had problems with my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 throwing random DTC codes and stalling. When going highway speed it would occasionally "buck" and the tach would drop to near zero and come right back. Occasionally it would happen repeatedly and make a lot of noise. When slowing down it would stall out and die, but always restarted. The truck was always warm when these things happened. Some of the codes I got were "closed loop fueling not achieved" on both banks, cam and crank position sensor codes, throttle position sensor codes and low voltage codes. I replaced cam and crank position sensors, throttle position sensor and oxygen sensors. Battery and alternator tested good. I had about given up, when my mechanic called me and had found a common but rarely diagnosed problem on this model year, and I assume many other 3rd gen Rams. The wiring harness from the computer runs over the back of the passenger side cylinder head and actually rests against it. It's not easy to see. Over time it gets hot and can break down the insulation on the wires. On mine it was the sensor feedback wire that had a worn spot. Taped the wires with a good amount of electrical tape, zip tied the harness to the transmission dipstick tube to keep them off of the cylinder head, and problem solved. Hopefully if someone is having similar problems, this can save them the headaches I had.