Help' ' my dodge ram 1500 keeps turning off on me while driving battery is good no codes read at auto zone no bad wiring oil n everything up to date fuel pump is good n so is the pressure no overheat

820

Asked by Matt151dede Nov 10, 2013 at 02:14 AM about the 2001 Dodge RAM 1500 SLT Club Cab RWD

Help

2,205

When does it die when your stopped? Does it back fire or hesitate before it dies? How often does it occur i would check ignition coil some times the windings in an old coil get weak especially because of the heat the engine creates

820

it dies when i drive or sitting at a light and it doesnt make any noise at all just shuts off by itself but the lights and power alll work could it have something to do with the radiator hose tht runs into the truck cause right now it leaks and get the computer wet could tht be it ?

1,450

No computer is sealed, it sits in the engine compartment, there is a few things that cn do this the easiest ans most likley is the ignition coil, follow the middle sparlplug wire in the distributor cap and it will come to the front of the engine on the right side, it will go into the coil it is very easy to change and nothing has to be set, try one out.

440

kept shutting off on me out of the blue, i thought it was going to be something serious like the computer BUT ALL IT WAS WAS A Duralast Ignition Switch form AUTOZONE. the receipt number says LS1259. Hope this helps

mine is doing the same thing, except mine is trying to gain the power to stay on, but just dies. but it will start right back up. im going to replace my ignition coils. computer says 8 is bad. and replace my mass flow air sensor in hopes that that helps.

300

Fuel cap. Mine cuts off at 1/4 tank and when I fill up. Replaced cap and all is well.

990

My 95 dodge ram 1500 keeps shutting off after driving for 15 min or so. I have replaced the ignition pick up, coil pack, Coolant temperature sensor, and igntion control sensor I believe it's called. I don't know a thing about fixing cars I just detail them lol. Can anyone help me with what it might be

400

I have the same problem on my 2010 Dodge ram have mentioned this and had it written up at over three dealerships it happened again today in the major intersection could've been in a serious accident

990

Replaced igntion switch now along with the others cts, ignition control senor. Still doing it ,

300

My 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 would cut out while driving. Always started right back up. This first occurred at just over 100k. Dealer replaced "transmission sensors" problem went away. Now with 250k same symptom. I am hunting for sensors.....

300

Everyone is saying it is the fuel filter. But I don't have the time or money to drop the tank and replace the filter, which is a lot of $$$$$

835

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi with 90,000 miles having similar issues. Will cut out after about 10 minutes from cold morning start (50 degrees) while driving. Sounds like it's trying to keep itself alive as well. Then I restart, step on the gas, and everything is fine. Has happened 2 days in a row in nearly the same location. I took it to a shop and no codes are showing. Has anyone pinpointed what the solution is yet?

130

?????? I'm stumped don't know tried almost everything

380

So I have a 95 dodge ram 1500 with the same problem I have replaced idle air control valve both front and back sensors 1 on top of the rear pumpkin and 1 on the side of the trans also cap rotor plugs wire's fuel pump and filter all 1 unit oil ignition switch sensor for abs and the tps and still no help the dash light's still on and still stalls urgh it's how we get to work and with a new baby it's hard to find time to go through every little thing help anyone

610

I have a 01 dodge ram 2500 5.9l gas. It seems like once it heats up or after driving for a bit it Stahl's out and you have to wait a bit for it to start back up. I replaced the ignition coil and it did it again today. Should I replace the ignition switch this time?

310

Throttle Control Sensor. Fixed my 05 Dodge Ram 4.7 . Same symptoms as all you guys with no codes and no help from dealer. TCS

140

When my throttle control sensor went in my 05, it went into creep mode. It's now stalling, just don't get any warning lights or lose radio, but no power anything. My mechanic likes to start simple, suggests voltage regulator/alternator/battery. Then go from there.

270

2004 dodge larime has been shutting off while driving for about a month now but always starts right back up . Took it to auto shop no code problems and tonight in 16 degree weather shut off on the highway almost causing a serious accident. Had to get it towed back home

280

hope this helps someone i have a 03 dodge ram 1500 that kept stalling at idle or take off .....turned out to be 02 sensor no codes were being thrown but asd relay kept kicking when the truck would die unplugged o2 stopped dying ...

190

Hey when the asd rely kicked would it only start after u put it in park and turned off the key

160

yeah, my truck (2003 dodge ram 4.7) only starts back up after you throw it in park and turn off the key and even then it has trouble starting back up

440

I had problems with my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 throwing random DTC codes and stalling. When going highway speed it would occasionally "buck" and the tach would drop to near zero and come right back. Occasionally it would happen repeatedly and make a lot of noise. When slowing down it would stall out and die, but always restarted. The truck was always warm when these things happened. Some of the codes I got were "closed loop fueling not achieved" on both banks, cam and crank position sensor codes, throttle position sensor codes and low voltage codes. I replaced cam and crank position sensors, throttle position sensor and oxygen sensors. Battery and alternator tested good. I had about given up, when my mechanic called me and had found a common but rarely diagnosed problem on this model year, and I assume many other 3rd gen Rams. The wiring harness from the computer runs over the back of the passenger side cylinder head and actually rests against it. It's not easy to see. Over time it gets hot and can break down the insulation on the wires. On mine it was the sensor feedback wire that had a worn spot. Taped the wires with a good amount of electrical tape, zip tied the harness to the transmission dipstick tube to keep them off of the cylinder head, and problem solved. Hopefully if someone is having similar problems, this can save them the headaches I had.

210

Imy truck dies in the afternoon after work, Im in phoenix, don't understand why it only dies in the afternoon and not in the morning, I'm guessing it's the heat but, any suggestions

150

I was drive my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 for about 6 minutes and all of a sudden my RPMs dropped for 2 seconds and lost speed, then my speed went back up, the happened again. And my fuel went from full to empty to full. I was going about 55 MPH In the past week I changed a cracked spark plug, and the air filter. Anyone else have the problem?

180

I have 03 dodge 1500 that shuts off going down the road, usually when slowing down. It also won't start at times, it tries the first couple of times u turn it over but then nothing. I did figure out the fuel pump was not coming on when key was cycled, so i replaced the pump with a complete new fuel pump assembly. i filled the tank full right afterwords. truck ran great until the fuel level was under half, then the problem came back. If i hit the tank with a hammer it fixes the problem for a while, i think im going to buy a fuel cap and see about a new pigtale for the connector on the pump.

150

Update: Mine was a crack shaft sensor that would not work every once in a while, swapped it out now it's running better then ever!

80

My 2003 ram 1500 4.7 would stall intermittently. No codes ,no warning other then square around the d would dissappear then engine would shut down. Had to turn key to off position to start back up. Turned out to be a bad coil. Must have had a short that shut the engine down . All good for over a year now.

100

My 2006 Ram 1500 5.7 shut down while driving yesterday, only it will not start again. Looking for answers but it seems to be a possible issue with this model without a real answer as to why or how to fix it. Seems like a big paper weight at this point. Might trade it in for a ford lol

190

Could be crank sensor or timing sensor

280

My 2011 ram 1500 stalls while driving without any warning or codes. It has done this 3 times now about 2 years apart. When this happens I can turn key off and back on again and it just comes back on while still moving and in drive like nothing happened. Any ideas?

40

Ya definitely sounds like a "crack shaft" sensor to me aswell Nwillen44

180

Check the plug that goes to the fuel pump. mine is an 03 and the four female spade terminals in the connector were wide open. i figured it out when i wired a stran of automotive electrical wire threw the spade terminals and it stopped dieing. I only did this so i could have it plugged in and functioning and be able to test it without taking it apart. I took the terminals out of the plug and bent back the tangs and it has not died yet.

80

Same problem with my 1999 Ram 1500 5.9L. It was the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR! It sarted off with momentary hesitation that I initially though was a transmission slippage. Later it died momentarily while driving and tach would go to zero, then restart. Went a few months without issues then started randomly dying, would coast to side of road and wait 2-3 minutes before restarting. Never lost lights/power, no misses, etc. When the crank position sensor has a signal loss, it cuts power to the fuel pump and stops all ignition. Apparently once it starts going bad, it just gets worse and worse. The part is $75 to $90 and a pain in the butt to get to. I gladly paid my mechanic $100 labor for the install (he said he will never put one in again!) Had to pull the R Front wheel and fender well out to reach it! Hope this helps!

180

Fuel pump connector. I put a small stran of wire in the connector on both the + and - so i could test the pump voltage when the truck wouldnt start or died. I left the wires in place and the problem never accrued again that is untill i took the wires out of the connecto. the problem immediately returned so i took each of the 4wires out of the connector and used a pick to make the connection tighter ( bent up the center prong) no mor problems sence.

40

Having same problem but can’t seem to find any fix tried every thing I just stall when ever it wants sometimes starts back up sometimes it dont

50

I had the same problem with my 98 dogde ram 1500. it would , at random, just stop running, could be weeks to a couple days but it got worse slowly and did it more often as it went along and it was the computer after we did the lamination process, so I pretty much have a new truck but I am sure it was the computer.. never has it done it again since we put it in

70

I found this on the NHTSA web site. Action # EA05018, investagation opened on 11/2/05 and the investagation was closed on 8/29/o07. The complaints were about stalling in 2004-2005 durangos and rams 1500,2500;3500. It reports that the autos needed to have the power train: automatic transmission:control module (TCM,PCM) reprogramed to stop the stalling issue. The report stated the autos were stalling at stop signs or at low speeds in parking lots. It makes no mention of the full gas tanks. I will has to experiment with a less then full gas tank.

70

I have an 03 1500 4.7 and mine is having the same problem. At first it was only while idling then it started doing it when I opened up the throttle and now it just happens whenever. The motor cuts out and all my lights/radio stay on and the gauges freeze for a second and drop to 0. I have to pull over put it in park and start it back up. Just recently it doesn't want to start back. It tries but it's not that it won't turn over it just stops trying. Everything else keeps power except the engine systems. Wtf? I replaced the ignition switch with high hopes and low expectations and it's just the same. It seems that something is triggering the ASD switch but there's a lot that can cause that. If anyone has any answers or could provide a long list of reasons for the ASD to trigger that would be the bee's knees.

190

My experience with the same year make and model 2003 4.7 Ram 1500 stalling out gauges freeze dropping putting in park turn key off and on first I started with the sensors camshaft positioning sensor and crankshaft positioning sensor idle air control sensor throttle positioning sensor oxygen sensor front and back And as stated above in this form I checked my wiring harness around my engine for dry rot brakes and cracks that could cause a short also replace the ECM ordered one from eBay remanufactured and I installed a fuel pump So what I did when having this problem I found by unplugging the rear O2 sensor it would remedy the problem except for hard acceleration under a load but my engine light would stay on Someone also stated above in the form that by changing the coil packs or one of them that is causing the problem may fix this issue which I never got to because I sold the truck to my friend and he is still driving it with the O2 sensor unplugged I told him about the coil packs but he hasn't got to doing it yet I believe you may have more than one problem But I would start with unplugging the battery to reset the computer some people say to leave it disconnected for at least 5 minutes or so for a good reset this should reset the ASD reconnect the battery terminals then have someone click the key to the on position without cranking it over well someone listens if the fuel pump is clicking on if you're listening by the fuel tank you should clearly hear a humming noise from the fuel pump this to just eliminate a fuel pump issue and then see if it starts From what I learned main problems for a cranking but non start issue could be crankshaft positioning sensor camshaft positioning sensor or fuel pump Hope this helps you or anybody else that comes across this happy wrenching

40

So you 2003 4.7 owners just wanted to see if anyone had any definitive answers to the engine shutting down issue after reading this. The trouble I am having is engine shutting down under acceleration between 40-50 mph. Have to pull over put in park and turn key off all the way to restart. Have checked battery and alternator, replaced throttle position sensor, replaced cam sensor and wiring connector, replace crank sensor, replaced ASD, replaced PCM, fuel pressure is good at 45 key on and 49 when running. The gauges swing to right then settle down when it dies and circle disappears from around drive on dash. The ahole dealer charged me big to diagnose and said the cam and crank sensor needed replaced. They were wrong. Any additional help or advice appreciated. About to drive me nuts.

190

Some one on here said it is one of the coils shorting out

190

If you try this and it works please leave some feedback.... my 03 ram was doing same thing but sold it before the person on here said it was a faulty coil pack so I never got to try it

30

I discovered that on my 1996 V6 ram van, the computer plug was loose. Looking at the firewall from under the hood, the plug on the right was loose. Push on it and let someone turn the ignition, starts and runs. Stop pushing the plug, engine cuts off. Put a hose clamp around the plug and tighten. Crank and it runs like a top. Tried to attach a photo.

40

2000 dodge ram 1500 4x4 i am currently having same issue truck dies tach and speedo still worked radio etc, no warning lights.. wouldn't start and had a NO BUS warning in the trip gauge after turning over for a few sec. .... i pulled fuel system relay fuse out thinking it may have some thing to do with fuel pump. relay was warm. put it back in and started right up. may have been loose. but i bought a new one just to try if it happens again... if it doesn't resolve issue im thinking its a fuel pump......

20

My dodge did the same and it was definitely the coil.New transmission,new plugs,new sensors regular oil changes,no engine lights,well kept.

30

My 1997 Ram 1500 would randomly stall while driving or at a stop light and immediately crank back up..I checked crankshaft position sensor and everything else posted. It ended up being in the wiring to to coil...it runs through and under the bracket the coil is mounted on and the insulation on one of the wires rubbing on the bracket wore thru and would randomly short out and kill the engine..replaced part of the harness and used plenty electrical tape...Fixed!!!!!

130

My 2015 Dodge die twice making a right hand turn no lights or nothing come on I pull over put in park and it starts right up Does any body know what what causes That

10

I changed everything including replaced 3 ECU, engine still shuts off when hot. Finaly I put piece of wood 2x4 under the hood to keep it 4" open, and secured with bungee cord to bumper while driving. This keep the ECU cool and so far it works.

100

I have a 95 dodge ram 1500 that cranks when its cold but when it heats up past 200 it shuts off. No check engine lights come on. After it cools down a lil i can crank it back up untill it gets to hot. i replaced coil pack, distributor cap, plugs, wires, and the crank shaft pisition sensor. Now im running low on funds.... Anyone have any ideas. 222xxx miles 5.9

40

i have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 4.7 same thing truck turned off going down the road and agine befor i got home , simple fix take battery posts cables off clean very good this will let computer rebost i put them back on truck works perfect ,all look for the simple fix first.

100

I wish that was my issue but it turns over just dosent get spark. I also recently put a new brain box in it.... Still nothing... And the box was programed b4 anyone asks that too lol

Truck was running all day then came to a stop and just died replace the coil have no spark

20

I have a 2011 RAM 1500 doing the same thing - at least it sounds the same. When the engine is completely cold it will spin but not start. Girlfriend said the fuel pump is coming on when the key is turned, and it takes several attempts to get it started. Occasionally it will start, but sputter and almost immediately shut back off. Eventually it will start normally and once it does it acts normal until the engine completely cools again. Last night it shut off for the first time while I was driving it - it was an add process as it shut down, but I was driving around 30 MPH between parking lots and it was as if someone just disconnected the gas pedal, but the RPMs dropped to 1200 and it didn't actually shut off at this point (still had power steering, etc, just no gas pedal). As I slowed down to make a final turn into the parking lot it actually shut off all the way, but I was able to put it in park and it started up immediately and again acted as if nothing was wrong. Mechanics can't figure out what is wrong, I have had it in the shop numerous times working through the cold start issues. Fuel pump was replaced last year because of cold start issues and I'm wondering if that was a necessary repair...

10

I have a 05 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l hemi magnum that dies if I spin out and let off the gas and when I speed up it shakes pretty bad and I’m not sure what is causing these problems

10

My 2005 Ram 1500 will stall out when turning left. Not a hard turn left. Just an easy turn to the left, like in a parking lot, or pulling into my driveway, and wham, engine cuts out. Always a left turn, never a right turn. Doesn't matter if it's 105 F outside, or minus 2. My guess is the ignition switch in the column, which I will order and replace. There's a video of this issue on you tube.

20

Mine did this today, sudden loss of power, regained power, did it a second time and died, no restart, won’t even turn over, all my gear indicators were “boxed”. Had it towed to the shop. Couple hours later mechanic called and said it started right up and is running fine. Any suggestions?

100

Dralarms your computer ground could be the issue. Took me three months to figure it out. Good luck

180

Fuel pump electrical connector. Replace harness end on truck

100

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500, have had both throttle loss and shutting off at any given time. The shutting down was cured by replacing the ignition switch, and the loss of power was cured by replacing the APP sensor. Both are easy to do, on the APP sensor you may need a wiring diagram as my original sensor had a flat six connection and the flat six is no longer made, replaced it with a stacked three.

20

wow ! here I was thinking rams were so reliable. seems a lot of people are having same problem as I am. I have already invested almost 2000.00 on fixing my pickup and it still does the same.

190

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! On this particular problem truck stalling on medium or hard acceleration when this happens the gauges drop and the gear selector disappears and the only way to restart is to put it in park and turn the key completely off and then it will start ...this happens when one or more of the coil packs are malfunctioning this will not trigger a code or check engine light cheap fix all eight coil packs $50 bucks on eBay or buy one at the auto store for $50 when I took all my coil packs out one out of the eight was swollen and cracked along the side problem solved ...I also had other experiences with a stalling issue changed the mass airflow sensor , cam shaft sensor or crack shaft sensor usually the check engine light will turn on for these and you will get a code hope this helps someone

20

Mine was diagnosed as the pcm. 1310 from dodge and a 6 month back order. Found one preprogrammed from all computer resources for 233.00 programmed and shipped with a lifetime warranty. When the shop first put it in it started right up. Went back the next morning and it wouldn’t start. They left the key in the ignition with it on and forgot about it for about 4 hrs. It’s started every time I’ve tried it since. If you security light is flashing and it won’t turn over its most likely the pcm.

I have a 2009 Dodge Ram Hemi, as i am driving, and usually as i am applying the brake, my oil can light flashes then I hear 3 dings from somewhere, then it shuts the car down while i am driving, i lose all power steering, and its very dangerous. I have to stop and put truck in park and restart it. its so bad that my clock goes to 12:00. I took it to the shop and they found nothing even when the hooked computer to it. I am getting frustrated. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

20

Mine is fixed, turned out to be the pcm fuse. It was good but loose in the fuse holder and you could wiggle it and the truck would start right up.

100

Any idea why the tps has a reading of 5.125

I have 98 Dodge Ram and I turn it on and put it in drive and it turns off I replaced the ignition coil,distributer cap, all sensors around the throttle body and the fuel pump and it still turns off any Idea on what it can be?

10

My 2012 RAM 1500 4x4, 185000 miles, has died on me while driving three times in the last 4 months. when it happens I get no indications of issues, all my electrical in the cab stays on like it was still running, I get no odd engine noises nor feel any difference in performance, just all of a sudden my power steering goes out, i look down and the rpm is at zero. I have to put it into park then its starts right back up like nothing happened. I took it to the dealership, they found no error codes and told me they couldn't find anything wrong, I had them replace the crankshaft position sensor the first time it happened but it has happened twice since then.

180

Replace fuel pump conector on the truck harness

20

Bro its your temperature control sensor i hope this helps you all also can be your 02 sensors in your exhaust. Theirs 2 of them

Hey Guys! I thought I would share my experience: I have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 2wd 5.2L My truck would stall randomly while going down the road. I would pull over put the vehicle in park and the truck would turn on right away. The issue started to get worse over time - stalling would occur more frequently and sometimes the truck wouldn't turn on. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CODES! Here was my process to solving this issue: 1. Check/replace old ignition coil, old cracked spark plug wires. The truck continued to turn off randomly, but now I have a check engine light on. 2. Replace all 4 o2 sensors bank 1 and bank 2. Check engine light issues were solved. However, truck continued stalling. 3. Ran a battery test and found out my battery needed to be replaced. I went ahead and replaced battery and terminals! Truck continued to stall. 4. After lots of money spent I began to get discouraged. I went to the parts store and got some advise from a mechanic. He advised that I replace the following: Crank Position Sensor, Magnetic pickup, cap and rotor. The crank position sensor looked like it was in good shape. The cap looked new, however, the center pin was not in good shape! The truck runs like a top now! I hope this helps someone............

Here I am in the future of most of these post to help someone out that has problems with their truck shutting down while driving and then not starting again for anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes almost like its waiting for something to cool down. Well, in fact in my case, it was waiting for something to cool down, my ignition switch is what was shutting my 02 Dodge ram 1500 down. I did a lot of internet research, eliminating the BS and keeping the good stuff. All it took was to search symptoms of ignition switch failure. It was my exact symptoms. $35 and removal of the old and installation of the new, my truck ran for an hr without shutting down. It would shut off like clock work after 20 min of running. Be careful of what you read on the internet please. Do your due diligence and search like I did. Save time, save tons of money replacing shit that you didnt need to replace. Hope this helps. Jtd7954 at gee mail dot com

20

So I found out the problem is the fuel pump relay which is located on the circuit board that the fuses all plug into under the hood. Mechanics wanted $2500 or so to repair it because they replace the entire circuit board, but there is a company that sells just the relay itself. I was able to take everything apart using YouTube videos and was able to remove the old one which was a pain and solder a new one on all for $25. Unfortunately my soldering skills aren't quite where I hoped and a few months later the soldering broke and the truck wouldn't start. This time I had a bypass that they sell installed for $125 and it has effectively stopped the problem. It will still do refuse to start in super cold weather, but I can get it started after 5 tries, where before it would do it at much warmer temps and would sometimes never start until the air temp came up slightly, or if would take literally 25 attempts at starting.

Is it possi or le the key fob or remote to start device is causing it to die or shut off? Also I found a toggle li e switch under dash that I have know reference to or for. Truck just dies while I'm turning when you use remote start you press brake to kill truck. Any body else know what esp brake light flashing and dinging means?