fix ac dodge ram 1500

20

Asked by Mar 13, 2013 at 08:23 PM about the 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 2 Dr LT Standard Cab LB

ac needs charged and anitfreeze leaking inside of truck under dash on passenger side, need quote to fix both, little money though??

the heat exchanger is leaking...might be as simple as a loose clamp, could put a pressure tester on there and watch for the spray, hopefully can be mended without heatercore replacement...whew, I was going to say when refrigerant leaks, you might be able to smell it, but evaporates quickly...well, if you're handy with a heat shield and torch, you could braze the leak! would definately need some flux and flux brush--go with the turqoise colored powder for satisfactory results and a brass welding stick, if the leak is obvious and accessible-

it ain't messin' around...use MAPP/OXYGEN torch to melt the brass...hopefully you'll have gravity in your favor and will not have to weld with surface attraction- there is a temptation to spend forty-five minutes, but if you're good with prep work should only take five minutes...hardly enough time to grab the fire extinguisher!

20

@Bob, um, I am a single female that knows nothing about vehicles, ha. I do appreciate your answers though, just will have to find someone willing to try those out for me. Thanks again!

Dodger, I'm Soooo sorry, workin' with a brazing torch is something that even experienced wrench-heads stray away from...just gettin' a little ambitious with my zeal for a low-budget approach. was actually kinda jokin' with you, because it is impossible to operate a fire extinguisher in one hand, and a blowtorch in the other...lol...not funni~bwapbwaaa-sorry tho~

3,360

A.C. probably needs more than a charge to last. If the truck Is nice maybe worth fixing it, it can be quite spendy for a.C. repair. Got to realize the truck is how old now. I'd go without. As for the leak under the dash good luck on trying to solder the heater core in place. But you might get Lucky and it could be a connection leaking (easier and cheaper to fix). If the truck is a real beater you could cobble it by clamping hoses or joining the two together under the hood.of course then you would have no heat or defrost.

20

@Bob, yes, I kind of got the joke there, still appreciate the info. @mrmoony, yes, money is an issue, very old truck, looks great, just has a lot of issues, not worth pouring money in, which I don't have anyways, ha. However, it gets a little hot here in Phoenix, you know? :) I already don't have heat/ac or defrost, hence, kind of just a piece of junk, but it is still getting me down the road for now. Thank you both for your input.

you're sweet Dodger1500. and if there's any knowledge that we can impart, that may help your situation, don't be afraid to wring our necks with it....er ring us up.~

20

@Bob, thanks, I try:) Don't worry, I have no problem "wringing" your neck with vehicle questions:)