I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.9 it's over heating takes about 15 to 20 min to do so I have tried a thermostat and a fan clutch it is not pushing coolant in to over flow tank just over heati

15

Asked by May 26, 2015 at 07:35 AM about the 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 2 Dr ST Extended Cab SB

It had  cracked block got it welded and ran
blur devil so it has no leaks I am a mech I
just can't figure it out either heads radiator
or water pump rembere not pushing water
out to over flow jug so I don't think head
gasket

41,295

Try an air bleed kit and a new radiator cap. Have you opened the radiator and watched the fluid to see if it circulates?

15

i have taken the ca off and have watched the coolant it doesnt seem to flow much and it dont seem to over heat if i let it idel withthe cap off i have even taken the thermostat out and it still over heated

41,295

Then you have a bad water pump. The water should have been moving without the thermostat in.

15

an it still e bad without leaking

41,295

Yes. I have seen the impeller shaft shear before. Even though your pulley is turning, the impeller inside the pump is not. Here's a pic of your fluid flow. If you really want to see if the pump is bad, just unhook the top hose and turn over your engine. Since your thermostat is out, the fluid should shoot right out of the top hose. If fluid does shoot out, that means your radiator is plugged solid.

15

ok i took the hose off this morning and started it and the fluid shot out so i guessing that the water pump is not bad and the raidiator may be clogged but if it take the upper and lower hoseoff I can stick a water hose init and it flowed good itcan still be clogged in the middle and flow good when not under pressure ?

41,295

Wow, this is a weird one. So you have cooling from the fan, you removed the thermostat, the water pump appears to be pushing water, and the radiator appears to not be plugged since water flows through it, but it still over heats. The only other part of the puzzle would be a bad temp sender. I would replace that, put it all back together, and see what happens. If it over heats, try an air bleed kit from the auto store. It may have a large air pocket in the system. Make sure you put the thermostat back in. Once you bleed the air, you will not want to have to open it back up again. Let me know how it goes.......

15

the bad thing is i thought about the faulty temp sencors and had replace them both i think i am going to put a block tester on it and check for a head gasket leak i just was trying not to think head gasket cuz it wont bubbling over or into over flow tank i will bring my block tester home from work today and try it i was also thinking if

15

When I got the block welded it could be sucking air in even though it no leaking water ?

41,295

No, it would be leaking water if the block was still cracked. Let me know how the block test goes.

15

okso i tried the block test last night and it was ok well i didnt change colors any way and tonight i tried a bleeder the one weere you put the fittings on a funnel and it got all the air out but it still got to 240 on the temp scallso i hooked my computer to it at the same time and it said it was onlt at 89 celciousewich aint 240 f i nodt think and i replaced both the sencors ont both sides of the thermostat is there a diffter on for the gauge on for the one that goes to the pcm?

41,295

Yes there are two. Go to 14:15 in the video. He will show you exactly where they are. If you replace these sensors and it still over heats, I would say it's got to be your water pump or the radiator that's causing your trouble. The radiator is definitely the easiest to change out............ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9H0316eHpc

15

i have replaced both of them already and i was also wondering after it runs for a while it will just cut off i can start it back up and it will run if im powr breaking it some but cut off as soon as i let off gas but when it cold its fine