Front passenger door will not unlock. How do I access door panel with door closed?

Asked by Mar 15, 2015 at 01:47 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4 Dr LSi Sedan

15,135

I'm not sure if a slim-jim used by tow companies and car thieves will open the locked door. Call AAA if you have a card and see if they can get into your car. A lock smith can do it. Does the car key fail to turn the lock? Do the windows operate? Check fuses?

Car key fails. Had wife turn key while I was pulling up on lock from inside. Hear actuator trying to unlock and window works, so it is not the fuse. I have electric locks and all other locks work fine. If what I'm doing doesn't work, don't think a slim jim would matter. I do have AAA so I might have to give them a call. Thanks

15,135

Slim-jim is a flat metal bar that can grasp the locking bar and pull it up to unlock the door. It is possible someone may have tried to get into the car and damaged the lock. There are tools that will open the door at the cosst of destroying the lock, one such tool is a slam hammer the rips the lock away from the door, but does cause damage to the locking mechanisms. Before that, I'd suggest the slim-jim method as it only pulls the locking bar in the direction it normally would go to unlock it. Some cars have built a metal bracket over that bar to stop novice people form gaining entry. Do try AAA. Make sure you tell them what the problem is so they send someone versed in such an issue. I have had AAA drivers respond to calls my daughter had placed, only to lend them my tools to complete their task. Good luck.

Thanks guys!! Helped me alot, turned wheel to the left and ignition turned