have a 96 dodge 1500 5.9 4wd all not start

80

Asked by Feb 15, 2013 at 08:22 PM about the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 2 Dr LT 4WD Standard Cab LB

Asd does not turn on fuel pump does not turn on and has no spark with ignition in run position. Changed the pcm.
Changed the dist pick up. Changed crank position sensor cannot read for with scanner or lights.

...let's go back to the basics. corrosion on your battery terminals has comprimized the amperage to operate at full capacity, also the ground side is overlooked as one has to have a solid ground to the chassis AND the engine! With the positive and any loop/studs have been rendered free of any oxidation with a wire brush can be assembled after washing with the hose- All Clean--yes. then we'll start lookin at systems.

you probably have the bad ground which is playing hell on all systems. dig it,

80

I checked all grounds to motor and chassis. What other ground can there be

you're good. it is in 'safe mode' wherby needs to be reset as it thinks there has been a collision because the bumper switch has tripped the emergency shutdown. This happened while parallel parking in more than one instance. What we have to do now is read the trouble codes and do what they say, learn to reset after trip- need help will study this more in depth but have seen this exact condition many times within the last month....damned safety!

875

no i worked for dodge ( Diamler chrysler ) for 17yrs and that is not the answer but you are on the right track , one there is a ground wire that is located on top in the front right by the air conditioner its right on top the bracket assymbly that is one of the main grounds to the injectors distributor ect; check that first , second is the ignition switch they are none to be just like the old days when fords didnt work , sounds like not going threw the switch. and last thing there is a 100amp fuse in the fuse box check it .

80

I checked all fuses and they r good. I cant get codes from it the fuel pump dont turn on and asd dont come on when in run position check engine light was on all the time until it stoppedrunning and i noticed the od switch dont work for trans and i just found the round plug on trans is messed up and needs to be changed so i unplugged it and still nothing. I noticed when i pulled fuse in box on driver's side under hood asd and fuel pump relay swiches to on positions but there's no power to fuel pump but if u put fuse back in and jump relay the pump works and if u jump asd relay theinjectors stay open

20

i am in the same position please help

35

Did you guys figure this problem out? The exact same thing is going on with my 1996 dodge ram.

60

Just fixed the exact same problem on my 96 2500. Turns out the blue wire going into the back of the buzzer fuse had come loose. Whatever the black/orange wire that comes out the other side of that fuse feeds makes the whole truck shut down. Check that circuit both in front and in back of the fuse panel. Hope this hel

60

BTW it took me 3 weeks to figure that out. I hate electrical problems.

20

Had similar problem on 96 ram 1500, 5.9. I found there is a pair of ground wires joined at a crimp connector type eyelet that grounds at the power steering pump mounting to the head. I re-skived the wires, twisted together and re crimped the connector eyelet and a year long intermittent problem solved! I believe this was the ground for the ECM and something else..

same problem 96 ram 1500. nothing is fixing the problem. please help.

35

My problem was the cam sensor in the distributor. Apparently, after changing the cap and rotor a few times, the wire for the cam sensor got pinched when I tightened the cap down and eventually wore through and broke the wire. Take a look at that, easy to repair and not very expensive.

1995 Dodge Ram 5.9L - I have had the same problem as all of you for a long time. Changed everything electrical (PCM, Coil, ASD relay, Crank sensor, Cam sensor, distributor cap. plugs and wires, fuel pump) everything except actual distributor and wiring harness. Picked up a used harness and changing that out to see if that works. Also checked and cleaned all grounds. Can anyone tell me the sequence of the fire once the key is turned on? By the way, I have had this vehicle to at least 4 shops including Dodge dealership. Dodge replaced the PCM a second time but no luck. Crazy that the Dodge dealership mechanics cant figure it out either. I wish I could just trace the fire to determine where the issue is. Thanks

alright now i'm gonna make this simple. don't listen to these other people posting things on here there is a wire under the truck look to see if it's connected. it it aint thats your problem.