fuel problems

Asked by Dec 28, 2014 at 05:36 PM about the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 2 Dr LT 4WD Standard Cab SB

I have a 96 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9
engine and I get no fuel pressure at
the fuel rail. I check the voltage at the
electrical connector at the fuel pump
and only have seven books what
could be the problem

145

first, check the wiring route, from the injectors and ensure they are connected, check any wiring that is subsequently in line with them and tract them until they go to the fire wall, check the voltage and resistance of the injectors and the voltage at them. Second Check all fuses to ensure that they are bot popped, check the resistance of the fuel pump OHMs shouldn't be very high, google to check the amount or resistance you should be looking for. that very well may be your problem. Third, if you have no issues with the relays and fuses hopefully you have fuel but this is not important to this part. You will need a kit to test the fuel pressure the rail at this point, connect it to the nipple and have a friend try turning the truck over, looking to see if you have any pressure building or if there is none at all. three and a quarter if you have any amount of pressure while trying to turn it over, I would recommend removing the fuel rail cleaning it replacing/rebuilding the injectors and just replace the o rings. then place it back ensuring that it is set in place before trying to crank and read anything again. Three and a half, if you have no pressure after cranking and whatnot or if after you clean replace/rebuild the fuel rail and injectors you will be moving back under the truck following the lines toward the tank. this is the part that for your sake i hope you didn't have much gas in her, while you're following the fuel lines back check and see if there are any kinks, bends or if at any section where a rubber hose is involved any leaks, even a small bend or hole will cause a large amount of pressure dropping. Four If you have found nothing by this point it is the time to drop the tank, of course remove the negative terminal on the battery, disconnect the lines and take the heavy devil down, at this point you should just grab a beer, because that is the worst part unless you have a lift or someone helping you do it. once you are at the point where the tank is down and you have access to it, remove the fuel pump, with the filter and everything that the genius that designed it and decided to put it inside of the damn tank. check to see if you have anything screaming at you like disconnected wires, I have seen that before mind you, and i was scared shitless because of it. measure the resistance, any moving parts move gently by hand to see if there is any binding or anything to that effect. Check the inside of the fuel tank, see if there is build up or anything that would shred your lines and or pump. If there is, you may need to do some extensive work, power flushing lines with a back flush in an attempt to remove any particulates blocking flow. Five if you have a shot pressure regulator/fuel pump at this point you will have it narrowed down and know what you're going to be replacing, any gunk in the tank, you should bring it to a professional and have them "boil" it out to clean it, that is something that I do not do on my own, know your limits. the regulator and filter are all inline with/part of the fuel pump. You can buy setups that have them move to an external point. Six Finally you will have found out the issue with the baby you have been working on, either no power to the pump, something closing a line, a dead/dying pump regulator, or maybe even a fuel filter that is clogged. Or maybe, you will have some combination of them. Overall that is the diagnostic process you may need to follow, but with it being a 96 you may be lucky and be able to view anything saved into the trucks ECM, because OBD's monitor the fuel and emissions more than anything. This might get you a much narrowed range of possible issues, but if that is not there, It is going to me the stem my stem, I usually go front to rear but don't just start in the middle. Good luck