Fan Blower won't work

685

Asked by Oct 27, 2014 at 01:50 PM about the 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT LB 4WD

Heater fan will not blow air, just suddenly stopped.  Fuse is good, fan motor removed and connected to power and works fine.  Re-installed motor, ran direct power to it and runs fine.

Suspect faulty switch but don't know how to test to confirm.

100,845

Check the resistor first,this may be bad,dodge are bad for these burning out.

Best Answer Mark helpful
100,845

It is located under dash at blower box,right at motor.

685

Found it & removed. Is there a way to tell its bad? Or just buy a new one?

100,845

I think it can be ohmed,if you have ohm meter,you can all so test,by cutting blower on,and check for fire at it.if there is fire,then that will be the problem.

685

I checked it with my Ohm meter last night, got 0 readings across all terminals. So, from my limited knowledge and experience, that kind of Ohm reading indicates that the unit would be good. I don't completedly understand the rest of your answer. Are you suggesting that I leave the relay out, plug the wire harness back in, and turn on the fan to see if there is any reaction in the relay? If so, then it's good?

100,845

No, what i ment to say was check the wire,s coming into relay for fire,that would show switch is good,and if has fire at it,it is not going threw risitor.

100,845

To motor.

685

Ah-Ha! OK, will try that later. Will re-check the relay first, as I learned that I tested it wrong. Now I just gotta wait until lunch time so I can go home and test!

685

Well, tried the test method that was suggested, results indicate that relay is bad. Then I GOOGLE'd 'How to Test an Automotive Relay' and found some instructions. I used those, followed them as best I could, and it seems to indicate that the relay is good. OK, so then I called a local big named shop, all they wanted me to do was bring the whole vehicle in and they'd fix it. So, after work will just buy a new relay and put it in!

130

I replaced this in my truck and it changed nothing. What next?

170

If it's intermittent it's probably the ignition switch the connection goes bad because of the of the writing draw

210

i have the same problem but i replaced the fan, resister, and ignition switch and still nothing

600

Hey guys, I have a '03 Ram that was having intermittent problems with the fan and now no fan blowing at all. I have replaced the resistor and still nothing. Should I replace the relay next or the switch. Is it the fan switch that will need to be replaced or the ignition switch? Also, where is the relay located? Thanks for any help!!!

60

How do I ask a question I'm having problems and got to fix my self

600

I replaced the ignition switch and that seems to have worked!!!

60

The resistor values are: 0.5 Ohms between the common pin and H 0.75 Ohms between the common pin and M 1.5 Ohms between the common pan and L They can be a few tenths of an Ohm off. That plus your Ohm meter is probably not that accurate :-) My guess is that the 1.5 ohm one is a 40-50 watt resistor.

120

Where is the relay? I can't find it!

270

Relay is under glove box and is visible by just getting under it looking for a white resistor. Fan speed switch on the dash can also get gunked up with crud. I took mine out , cleaned all the old grease off replaced it with bulb grease or dialectric grease and put it all back and it worked perfect. Dodge wanted over 200.00 just to diagnose and maybe fix. Really easy to see if the grease has turned green and the contacts are all brass, so you just need to clean well and regrease.

260

Where is the IGNITION switch I keep hearing about?

260

Can someone PLEASEEEEEE explain what the IGNITION switch is and where is it? Thank you

100

Ignition switch is on the Left side of steering column, under the covering. Before going that route check the wiring to the blower fan it can be simply unconnected, or overheated and need replacing. It is in the foot well of passenger side and is very short wiring so can pull as well as be knocked off by someone's foot.

80

I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 truck and when I used the ac it was really loud, now that its winter time it made a loud noise if turned on, but now it doesn't turn on at all. Any ideas what needs to be replaced?

50

Your guys' help! Resistor corroded, some sandpaper, vinegar, and Q-tips, and good as new.....cost $0

160

We have a 2002 dodge the fan blower and radio will not work on it just went out yesterday...checked all the fuse and the seem to be fine...What else should be look for on it..ty

60

2000 dodge 1500.. Mine made loud noises and only worked on high .. But it filled truck with smoke so I replaced motor and now NOTHING... No burnt wires or fuses bad.. Dunno why so much smoke... Help

270

Check resistor under dash. That's why smoke. Resistor probably burnt.

150

2015 3500 ram blower doesnot work buy new blower still no work someone help thank

100

I just had the same problem with my 03 ram 1500 4.7 an it would work an sometimes it wouldn't I was like dang that's wird an i was looking on here reading some ofriends the comments an i jiggled the key an it came right on!!!!

280

Hey guys help me out. I have dodge ram 2500 1999 the problem I have is a/c not blowing so I went there to move fan motor and check voltage and no power to fan motor! What should I look for?

230

I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 and my blower motor just stopped working. After taking everything apart and checking power to all sources, I decided to tap the motor itself 5 or 6 times (with the key on and the fan turned all the way up) and it worked!! I then checked all of the ground wires and found 1 corroded. Cleaned it up and everything works great! I hope this helps someone else!

460

I have 2002 dodge ram 1500 , Blower fan will only run when fan control knob is turned to high setting will not run at other 3 lower settings. Fuse in fuse box under hood # 4 is good, I even replaced it thinking it may be on its way out. nothing changed . Is it a relay or fan control switch bad , blower motor bad..... and help is appreciated ....

150

Where were the ground wires you checked? In the fan motor? When I smack the fan motor it comes back on too.

20

i have an 03 durango melted resistor and pig tail, replaced those nothing worked replaced blower motor, front switch panel, relays, fuses and ignition switch still doesn't blow air there is power in the 2nd wire from the resistor and to the blower motor and i can get the blower motor working on high (but wont shut off) if we hook up a separate ground wire

30

My 3500 05 has a similar problem. Tried wiggling ignition just now with fan on the 3rd speed setting (highest I could go without getting the death rattle). No luck there. Pulled fan motor with removal of 3 screws and it binds and drops black dust like a plague victim. Ordered a new motor from aftermarket parts or "am parts". 40 bucks later and free shipping and I'll let you know if that fixes it.

30

I have an 03 1500 5.7 my blower worked when i bought the vehicle used. month later it never worked again. i checked all the wiring behind the radio and even went as far as changing my my ignition switch and still nothing. I saw this QA and in less than 3min i wen to my truck looked under my glove box in the passenger foot well and seen the white connector unplugged. i put it back in its position turned my truck to the on position and it was blowing fine. thanks delvinh2003 for the advice really was a great help for me and my family

110

If the blower works, but only on high it is the resistor. There are two fuses, one inside of the cab (20 amp) and one in the engine bay (40 amp). There is also a relay in the engine bay fusebox. In my case the blower motor would do nothing. I pulled it and found the armature was terribly corroded and shorted and burned. The heater core had leaked during the previous owner's possession. I replaced the motor and the resistor. My resistor had become brittle from over amperage draw. The fuse inside the cab was OK, but still no go. I checked the engine bay box and replaced the relay, but I was unaware of the other fuse. So still no go. I investigated more thoroughly and found the 40 amp fuse which was indeed blown. replaced that and now the blower works and at all speeds. There is still a heating problem, so next I will back flush the heater core.

40

Do I need to pull the dashboard to get at resistors, relays, can motor, ect??

110

No you will find the resistor to the left of the blower motor. Two screws, the rear screw being somewhat difficult to remove. The 1A Auto videos are excellent tutorials. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpNSHzHa4G8

10

SO i ves the blower motor and the resistor but I can’t. Find Wer the relay goes. Can someone help

110

The relay is in the fuse/relay box in the engine bay. Remove the lid and check the diagram on it to find the exact position of each relay and fuse, note there is a fuse puller and sometimes extra relays and/or fuses.

On a 2010 Dodge Ram what a module goes out does the heater on one side go out

40

2006 Dodge 2500, blower motor would only work on high speed. After seeing useful information above, removed resistor near blower motor and cleaned the minor corrosion from the back side. Remarkably, the blower works at all speeds now. Kinda blew me away because the corrosion was very minor. Appreciate it guys!!

50

2014 Dodge 1500 a/c blower resistor....dealership sold us one but it's not in its normal location!!....I disconnected blower motor ....and I have voltege and ground...but as soon as I connect blower motor I loose power and ground.....wait several minutes restart,truck...loose power again......help...help!!!....normal location is here but it has no hole for resistor!!!

30

I just took a 1700 mile trip and during the course my blower fan gradually faded to next to nothing. First I found that it would fade during acceleration of my truck. Now it works, it's cold air, but seems to function at low power under all settings. Good to see this post and I will check out all of the advice. Question here is...why would engine acceleration be part of what I have seen things posted here?

10

You have 2 cable to the blower un have power a soon you put switch if any cable no have power and fuse is good check under de fuse box for sure the cable burn and no make contact . Good luck

30

Thanks for your quick response. I hope to check things out and will let you know how things go!

40

Remove the resistor (2 screws) above passenger floor board. Looks like a u shaped brass piece. Clean blackish corrosion with sandpaper and wipe very clean. Re-install and try again. Worked very good for me.

70

I am no vehicle repairman, so I know I'm gonna sound dumb.... oh well, sorry in advance for my ignorance. rafe1500, we seem to be having similar issues. However, it doesn't seem to be connected to what speed we are going. Our problem: The ac will turn on and seem to be blowing fine; cold air, etc. Then all of a sudden, the air flow seems to become restricted and chokes down to nothing. We are afraid that it seems to be freezing up and that we are gonna burn up the fan motor. We can turn it off for a little bit and it seems to slowly, gradually pick up fan speed again. Anyway, I've been reading the posts and was wondering if this type of issue could also be caused by this resistor? Or could it ACTUALLY be freezing up and simply thaw out after a few minutes of turning it off?

20

Where resistors at on a 2000 doge 1500 blower

70

if its anything like the 2006, it's under the glove box

10

Hey folks my blower works but it ONLY blows at the feet no matter if I change to defrost or dash vents. What should I look for?

70

Sounds like blend door issues to me. I found this video on youtube and if nothing else, it was very informative...https://youtu.be/dBAtCnIxC2A. This is the first video in a 3 part series on replacing blend doors. It may not apply to your situation completely, but I found it helpful.

30

2011 Ram 2500 Crew cab......at first my fan would speed up and slow down (only on high setting, other lower settings I had nothing) and then it would only work if I was tapping on the motor (still in high setting) and even then it was rough. I pulled the fan and motor housing and replaced it with a new one and poof! Problem solved. It’s only 3 screws and 1 electric plug. It’s a cheap and easy swap and it worked perfectly for me! Hopefully this will help someone!