Fan Blower won't work

315

Asked by Oct 27, 2014 at 01:50 PM about the 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 2 Dr Laramie SLT 4WD Standard Cab LB

Heater fan will not blow air, just suddenly stopped.  Fuse is good, fan motor removed and connected to power and works fine.  Re-installed motor, ran direct power to it and runs fine.

Suspect faulty switch but don't know how to test to confirm.

68,255

Check the resistor first,this may be bad,dodge are bad for these burning out.

Best Answer Mark helpful
68,255

It is located under dash at blower box,right at motor.

315

Found it & removed. Is there a way to tell its bad? Or just buy a new one?

68,255

I think it can be ohmed,if you have ohm meter,you can all so test,by cutting blower on,and check for fire at it.if there is fire,then that will be the problem.

315

I checked it with my Ohm meter last night, got 0 readings across all terminals. So, from my limited knowledge and experience, that kind of Ohm reading indicates that the unit would be good. I don't completedly understand the rest of your answer. Are you suggesting that I leave the relay out, plug the wire harness back in, and turn on the fan to see if there is any reaction in the relay? If so, then it's good?

68,255

No, what i ment to say was check the wire,s coming into relay for fire,that would show switch is good,and if has fire at it,it is not going threw risitor.

68,255

To motor.

315

Ah-Ha! OK, will try that later. Will re-check the relay first, as I learned that I tested it wrong. Now I just gotta wait until lunch time so I can go home and test!

315

Well, tried the test method that was suggested, results indicate that relay is bad. Then I GOOGLE'd 'How to Test an Automotive Relay' and found some instructions. I used those, followed them as best I could, and it seems to indicate that the relay is good. OK, so then I called a local big named shop, all they wanted me to do was bring the whole vehicle in and they'd fix it. So, after work will just buy a new relay and put it in!

70

I replaced this in my truck and it changed nothing. What next?

80

If it's intermittent it's probably the ignition switch the connection goes bad because of the of the writing draw

90

i have the same problem but i replaced the fan, resister, and ignition switch and still nothing

200

Hey guys, I have a '03 Ram that was having intermittent problems with the fan and now no fan blowing at all. I have replaced the resistor and still nothing. Should I replace the relay next or the switch. Is it the fan switch that will need to be replaced or the ignition switch? Also, where is the relay located? Thanks for any help!!!

20

How do I ask a question I'm having problems and got to fix my self

200

I replaced the ignition switch and that seems to have worked!!!

10

The resistor values are: 0.5 Ohms between the common pin and H 0.75 Ohms between the common pin and M 1.5 Ohms between the common pan and L They can be a few tenths of an Ohm off. That plus your Ohm meter is probably not that accurate :-) My guess is that the 1.5 ohm one is a 40-50 watt resistor.

50

Where is the relay? I can't find it!

50

Relay is under glove box and is visible by just getting under it looking for a white resistor. Fan speed switch on the dash can also get gunked up with crud. I took mine out , cleaned all the old grease off replaced it with bulb grease or dialectric grease and put it all back and it worked perfect. Dodge wanted over 200.00 just to diagnose and maybe fix. Really easy to see if the grease has turned green and the contacts are all brass, so you just need to clean well and regrease.

70

Where is the IGNITION switch I keep hearing about?

70

Can someone PLEASEEEEEE explain what the IGNITION switch is and where is it? Thank you

30

Ignition switch is on the Left side of steering column, under the covering. Before going that route check the wiring to the blower fan it can be simply unconnected, or overheated and need replacing. It is in the foot well of passenger side and is very short wiring so can pull as well as be knocked off by someone's foot.

20

I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 truck and when I used the ac it was really loud, now that its winter time it made a loud noise if turned on, but now it doesn't turn on at all. Any ideas what needs to be replaced?

Your guys' help! Resistor corroded, some sandpaper, vinegar, and Q-tips, and good as new.....cost $0

40

We have a 2002 dodge the fan blower and radio will not work on it just went out yesterday...checked all the fuse and the seem to be fine...What else should be look for on it..ty

10

2000 dodge 1500.. Mine made loud noises and only worked on high .. But it filled truck with smoke so I replaced motor and now NOTHING... No burnt wires or fuses bad.. Dunno why so much smoke... Help

50

Check resistor under dash. That's why smoke. Resistor probably burnt.

30

2015 3500 ram blower doesnot work buy new blower still no work someone help thank

I just had the same problem with my 03 ram 1500 4.7 an it would work an sometimes it wouldn't I was like dang that's wird an i was looking on here reading some ofriends the comments an i jiggled the key an it came right on!!!!

50

Hey guys help me out. I have dodge ram 2500 1999 the problem I have is a/c not blowing so I went there to move fan motor and check voltage and no power to fan motor! What should I look for?

30

I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 and my blower motor just stopped working. After taking everything apart and checking power to all sources, I decided to tap the motor itself 5 or 6 times (with the key on and the fan turned all the way up) and it worked!! I then checked all of the ground wires and found 1 corroded. Cleaned it up and everything works great! I hope this helps someone else!

10

I have 2002 dodge ram 1500 , Blower fan will only run when fan control knob is turned to high setting will not run at other 3 lower settings. Fuse in fuse box under hood # 4 is good, I even replaced it thinking it may be on its way out. nothing changed . Is it a relay or fan control switch bad , blower motor bad..... and help is appreciated ....

Where were the ground wires you checked? In the fan motor? When I smack the fan motor it comes back on too.

i have an 03 durango melted resistor and pig tail, replaced those nothing worked replaced blower motor, front switch panel, relays, fuses and ignition switch still doesn't blow air there is power in the 2nd wire from the resistor and to the blower motor and i can get the blower motor working on high (but wont shut off) if we hook up a separate ground wire