Security Light Wont Turn Off

Asked by Apr 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Recently, I had to replace the ignition lock cylinder, but the ignition switch wasn't replaced. The car does start and I can drive it without issue; however, the security system light stays on and doesn't go out. It doesn't blink, always a solid light. I set the ignition to on for 10 minutes, off for two minutes, set to on again for another 10 minutes and off for two. I did this for a maximum of thirty minutes (three times). I would have thought the car would get used to the new key with the new ignition lock cylinder, but the security system light remains on solid and stays on the entire time. I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

from H25, disconnect the negative cable, press the brake five times, reconnect the negative cable....should reset the alarm.

102,745

On my 2002 Grand Am, if the Security light is on solid, it doesn't seem to effect anything. If the light is flashing, the engine will not start. My light used to be on years ago, I did nothing and it went off. Maybe to took some engine starting cycles to clear itself. -- To clear a flashing Security light, turn the key to "On" and wait ten minutes until it stops flashing.

16,535

A few years ago, if you took your GM car to a dealer to check the security light, they would do a diagnostic test and either reset it or tell you what the problem is for free. The last two times I took my Buick in, the dealer wanted $175 to do a diagnostic test, and if they could work on the vehicle to cure the problem, they would forgive all but $75.00. I just live with the light. I know what the problem is, the gas tank relay shows empty when I fill it. For $750, they will replace it.

califcarson, if only these people had to live with themselves, but they repent at the handy place of repentance and merrily go on being less than on the level with their fellow man, still remember "the handy hardware man", or three's a crowd at lucky...times are a changin' my man, just have to put a smile there where there wan't one before. hth~

of course, the "black tape solution"! I've recommended this solution more than twice~

16,535

Love your honesty. Vehicles are only mechanical, we love'em but only we are human. Bailing wire, hammer and duct tape does not get it any more. We live in the age of "throw away and replace."

too old now to be actin' like a teenager, as one once did out of necessity. Wife insists that I drive a new car that needs nothing after my '71 Volvo damsel in distress in every way imaginable, when you start with a recalled vehicle because the vinyl insulation started itself on fire, thusly changing the engine harness, oh fields of joy, then the head and finally bailed on the clutch job, had payed all I cared to and was still left with a hunk of junk when all is said and done...yes buy NEW if you can afford it or a meticulously maintained classic...but have a second vehicle for horrible weather conditions~

I moved to Calif, carson in 1989 and for the life of me cannot understand why anyone would put down in an environment where you're hunkered down ducking the ice pirahnas half the year~...speaking of me hometown Milwaukee, WI...Clearlake, CA for the last six years (one of the cheapest places to live in California)~

16,535

Off the Iowa farm. Tired of -40 degrees with 40 mph winds. In So. Cal. since 1967. Love my old 69 Vette. My oldest daughter had a 67 VW bug we always played with. Bought for $800, sold three years later for $2,000 and got her a Saturn. Ran it until the motor melted. Now she is a Ford Edge lady and loves it. I got an 04 Bonneville and 05 Buick Terazza. My other daughter a 08 MBZ. Buy new, trade in 12 to 15 years later. Hate car payments.

califcarson, never could stand children and my life as a half-pakistani guy has not be easy, have had MS, have always done well with machines scored top dog on the ASVAB and packaging machinery for many of the products you're buying today my hand is in the drafting drawers-

72,345

Sounds like the computer does not recognize the new lock cylinder and/or key. HTH. -Jim

35,655

Sounds like when the lock cylinder was installed the security resistor on it was either damaged or not hooked up. The light flashing means it won't start because there is something unrecognised in the system. The light solid means something is missing and it has been programmed to ignore it.