2001 chevy lumina no power runs bad

20

Asked by Aug 13, 2013 at 08:28 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr STD Sedan

My 2001 chevy lumina starts great. After 5 or 6 seconds the idle drops then surges. It will not  accelerate very well. The car will run to about 15 or 20 MPH. The car shows no codes. I have replaced the fuel filter it did not help. I have check the EGR and mass air flow sensor. Why does it start and run great every time. I can cut the car off and start it right back up and it will run great for 5 or 6 seconds. It revs and builds power just fine. It is like there is a " Run like hammered dog turds" switch that gets turned on after 5 seconds. and why no codes?

check the vacuum connection to the fuel pressure regulator sounds like it's the bum~ fuel pressure regulators will not have an OBD-II code~

Best Answer

I'm thinking your tps has got to be worn out...could be the "hammered turds" that has been spoken of in legend and lore~

475

Do what judge-roy said,he said to check tps,T.P.S.,,,,,TPS stands for THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR.That is what I would have checked.GOOD LUCK!!

I'm going to suggest that you get a NEW battery, as an old one will play hell with your alternator and give reduced performance~....also wirebrush the ground 1/0 cable to the ground connection there....ECU's operate on less than one ampere, Cold Cranking Amps are around 300 amps and they stick 'em on the SAME ground which DOES get clobbered from the tendancy for this high amperage to WELD itself in position creating corrosion...wirebrush this corrosion....regardless of the age of the battery~

20

Thanks for the help Fuel pressure regulator did the trick!

-----victory dance------!