brake and anti lock warning lights on, all of the time. no rear brakes. Checked fluid level and power assist hoses. Where do I start?

Asked by May 01, 2012 at 01:36 PM about the 1992 Dodge Ram 50 Pickup 2 Dr SE Standard Cab LB

My brake and anti-lock warning lights are on all of the time. After long periods of non use. The rear breaks are not working. I have checked the fluid level and power assist hoses.

Where do I start?

960

I sounds like your proportional valve is bad or sticking. I would look to see if rear brakes are making contact. If not, change out the proportional valve. This is the valve the limits the pressure to ablance all four wheels for the ABS braking system. This is why you are seeing the light on the dash. But the code needs to be ereased to seeif you repaired it correctly. This requires a OBD ll ecm checker, or have your local garage set it for you.

THANKS!

Where's the proprotional valve?

960

since I am not familuar with your truck, I can't pin point it for you. But here is what you want to do to find it. Trace your brake line down and it will come into a junction block or valve. That will be your proportional valve, as all brake lines come in to it. Most likely it will be attatched to the left side of the frame, fairly close to the master cylinder

Got it thanks.