chevy impala LS 2001 , front wheel hub , have trust issues with mechanic .

10

Asked by Jul 22, 2014 at 12:39 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet Impala LS

in the old days , 1976 and back , I knew alot of answers to car/truck repairs ,
diagnostics
and etc. but , now I'm lost . my mechanic says I need a whole new wheel hub on my
front , passenger side . this wheel has NO play in it , side to side or top to bottom . It
does
not make any sound , like a screech etc. etc. . brakes are fine , stop as good as ever ,
pads in good shape etc. etc. . why would the mechanic tell me I need to replace this ,
he didn't even put the car on a lift to check for play . what am I missing ? , help
please ! oh , car only has 50,000 miles on it and almost always only driven by my
wife , until recently . if it matters , car looks like new and has never missed
a maintainance check

96,945

Old day bearing noise is the same today, you test it the same old way, the only difference today is that most of them are sealed in a hub assembly and the preloads are already set, thus making servicing a hub bearing almost impossible, that is why you have to replace hub assemblies now. So if you have a bearing noise that hub needs replaced. Clear as mud right?

10

tennisshoes , thank you for your response . you made this antique feel better but I still can't see the light . my issues with my mechanic are my problem , but is there another way of telling , if the wheel hub is going bad , when my mechanic never raised the tire off the ground ? thanks , wally6266

96,945

Did he drive the vehicle? Did he hear bearing noise? Raising a vehicle sometimes is not the best way to check for a bad bearing as it takes the load off the bearing making the noise go away.

10

tennisshoes , thanks again for your response . NO he did not drive car and he did not hear noise . wait , he did drive car from customer parking lot to rear shop bay . he told me that there was play in the wheel , I found none !! and with that , determined I needed a new hub . I want my wife to be safe , and with only 50,000 miles on the car , I have to wonder . my last experience with a wheel hub , was with a l.t. with over 250,000 miles on it . that hub cost me 250.00 , this guy wants almost 500.00 . ANY THOUGHTS ??

96,945

Time to find another mechanic, a hub bearing will not cause play in the steering wheel unless it was falling apart, then you could not drive the car.

96,945

Even with labor it should not cost that much.

Best Answer
10

tennisshoes , thanks again for your help . what your saying is not unlike how I feel . don't know if I should go with my gut , common since , or what ! another part of my problem is that my mechanic is also a relative of my wife . CAN YOU SAY , WORLD WAR THREE !! . thanks again for your help , wally6266