Transmission

25

Asked by Aug 01, 2008 at 06:31 PM about the 2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4 Dr Turbo Sedan

03 trans problem..almost 80k miles..the car will trun on but when put into gear its like its just staying in nuetral and ownt mov at all..also cannot even shift over to 5th and reverse..just 1-4th checked my shift cables and the links to the trans and theyre fine..im thinking its something internally..maybe synchronizer?? if anyone has any experience with it let me know thanks..stock clutch , sts, and since 03 no lsd..

600

could be the synchos not letting you shift into 5th or reverse but it sounds like the clutch is shot to shit if it wont move...also it could be the final drive gear in the tranny take it to a tranny shop and see what they think

25

yeah im taking it into one tomorrow..do u have an srt4?

600

i used to have a 95 neon r/t but i sold it a while back but ive got a few friends with them and ive also been a mechanic for about 6 years so ive seen a few of them come through the shop

35

too bad Neon R/T's were only made 98-99 and 01-04.. not in 95 in all honesty it sounds like your shift selector is trashed, its becoming more a common failure in the SRTs since it cant hold up to most of the mods people are doing, AGPTurbo.com makes a billet steel replacement for $140 which can handle the stress better than the stock piece. a new shift selector from the dealer is in upwards of $400 + labor. theres also a guy on SRTForums.com selling a brand new stock shift selector pretty cheap (ritfordprobe is his name, i think he's selling it for $125) Now im not saying that your issue, but it does sound like it. If your shift selector has failed shifting, the shifter wont actually shift the trans at all, so like you said no matter what gear you put it in, it stays in neutral.

600

my bad it was a 95 neon s/c with the same motor as the r/t just a diff suspention and i cositered it an r/t mainly because i was smoking every r/t i came across

140

You might want to buy a set of new shift bushings while your replacing the shift selector, modernperformance.com has Booger Bushings for $21.99+ shipping. They will give you a more solid feel to your transmission when you shift. I had them in my '96 Highline coupe and they were amazing. While your at it you might as well go with the Mad Dog STS for the SRT-4 they are only $110 and they have a rod brake so you don't fuck up your shift forks, plus you get a shortened throw. Not only that but Chuck makes really good products and you can get it powder coated and threaded for a little bit extra. Powder coat: $20 Thread:$15 or $25 for both.

25

yeah dude i have the mopar sts i like it..pretty good feel.i found out it was the clutch slave cylinder..ordering new one soon

25

found out today clutch slave cylinder broke..replacing it soon..could u tell me how to bleed old one?? not doing it myself but if i have 2 need 2 i want to know how...

25

Burned out clutch?

25

thought that 2 but wouldnt it not start if the clutch was out? and it starts..

5

yo my 04 with 60k miles has been in the shop since may 5. i brought it in b/c it was poppin out of third. thought it was the synchros, turns out all the gears were completely worn. i baby the shit out of my cars so it blew my mind. come to find out the trannys on srt4s are notorious for bein shit((verbatim what the dodge mechanic said)). turns out mine was covered under warranty but i had to wait 4 months to get a new trans. if i were you go on ebay and buy a t-850 trans and swap it out. good luck homie

245

The real trans problem came in 05 bro. Sorry to burst your bubble but 04s were the "best year" for the srt trans. My buddy who babys his 05 like no other went through 3 stock trans before he got smart and went aftermarket. Luckily no problems with my trans yet. The worst ive gotten was the TPS wires goin bad.

5

to bleed it : press 100 times on the clutch pedal

30

I have a question, My sister has a 05 SRT-4 and she is fighting to get it into first and reverse specifically and now it seems to be bleeding into all of the other gears as well. she says it feels like she is "pushing againat something" when she puts it into gear. If the car is not running it will shift into any gear just fine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

30

Sorry, she has a 04 not an 05.

5

Same problem i just had. Broken shift selector. Replace it with the agp billet piece. Its way stronger and doesn't have a faulty construction like the stock piece. Go to modernperformance.com they have it for a good price and have incredibly fast shipping.

i have the same problem, i wont go in 2nd gear some times. my problem is biger becuase it's the only one here. i have for like 2 weeks now. my question : can this be a problem of bushing or suports becuase somtimes is works perfectlly, help me out please.

do you know what it would be if the car was jumping in first when you try to go?

600

well you need to open and close the bleeder too, just hitting the petal a hundred times wont cut it youll just tire your leg out

i need help please. i need to know what is wrong if the car is like jumping when trying to leave first? please help me!

I have a 2004 srt-4 i know the clutch is going due to the trany prob. my problem is after I bought the car and drove it around for a while third gear started acting it would try to shift into third and it would grind and not want to lock in, got it fixed ended up being the sync but it back again but now it's hard to get it into first and revers and now the clutch is going due to the the reason i belive not sure don't know much about transmisions. looking for some info on what it could be but tired of rebuilding looking for a new one having trouble finding one

Their is no bleeder with new slave cylinder u hang it down so it is the lowest point u compress it 30 times with it hooked up to the resivor then u instal it to the trans then u compress the clutch 100 times . It sounds dumb because it is but that is the way u do it . And then if it still feels spongy you are suposto repeat the proses . Remember to watch the fluid level of the resavour keep it wet so u dont add air u can buy a set that u can bleed but i dont remember the company that makes the kit it is allso aluminum instead of a composite material i want to know y they used this low grade system ? So we have to buy new parts?