1992 Chevt blazer Tahoe 2wd 4.3L Auto

16,145

Asked by Sep 29, 2016 at 01:37 AM about the 1992 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer 2 Dr Tahoe SUV

My transmission dumped 7-8 quarts of fluid. No apparent leak found. Filled it back up and off again no leaking. Back in 2002 it did this same thing pulling a bass boat. No leaks found. Pulled a enclosed trailer off and on since then with no dumping of its fluid then pulling it last week empty it does it again (2nd time) still no leaks found only difference this time is it also started to idle at 1800rpm's all the time. I did do a complete rebuild on the throttle body checked all sensors, still idles high next is the intake gasket when I have time, tried to look at top of trans with flash light & mirror to see if the leak came from the top side its dry I have a tiny leak in rear seal about a quart every 6 months and its dry compared to the rest of it. Cleaned it all off and I can not find the leak area do not know where it came from. Why did this happen. It never stopped pulling in gear no slipping and I had full use out of it. I just stopped added more fluid and continued on I turned on my a/c and that reduced my rpm's some. No check engine lights and I checked it with my snap-on brick

16,145

Both times this happened I had been on the interstate about 1 1/2 hours and had gotten off and was at the first or second red light and did not know it was happening until I saw smoke from the fluid on my exhaust and when I pulled over and stopped and put in park then it dumped the fluid fast just poured out like somebody flipped over a bucket of trans fluid. Now that I cleaned it off and it is dry I have drove it and let it run here in park and it is still dry, like it never leaked but I still want to fix this and get my idle down too and if I have to go all the way to head gaskets I will. I keep it up and its about time for a full service so I will do that too. Has almost 192k miles now. Has been very dependable. Always runs cool, never overheats plus has the oversized radiator, all stock, this is the 4.3l with the stock high rise intake manifold, Z code. I have it timed perfect, starts with the lightest slightest hit of the starter first time every time even now just idles at 1800rpm's and has dumped it trans fluid twice and trans fluid is and was still bright red without any burned smell. It has never had bad trans fluid, it has always been good. I do not know every thing and this one has be baffled. I can't find where the trans fluid leaked from.

92,865

The transmission is overheating and blowing out the vent or around the front pump seal, or even both, so either you have a plugged cooler in the radiator or a pinched cooler line. Personally I would totally bypass the cooler in the radiator and put on an external cooler of at least 10,000 lbs capacity. Then add some LubeGuard for GM transmissions.

Best Answer
92,865

Thanks, I had this happen on my GMC truck one time when I was pulling a very heavy trailer, bypassed the radiators cooler with a big external cooler and no more problem

16,145

Thanks, I thought about adding a cooler now I know I should. I will also pick up intake gaskets too I think on that last trip the intake gasket started sucking in air, when I had the throttle body off I saw a moist area toward the very back of it. I will just go ahead and do a trans filter change too and make room for the lubeguard .I had drove it very little leading up to this. I had a colan resection because of an infection. My colan had adheard to my bladder and fisher hole developed to both. Freek of nature. Long story. 11 surgeries later and 10 months and 3 weeks in a bed 2 months of that in Hospital. on the blazer I had to replace my battery my terminals & terminal wires, my wiper switch, fuel pump too, for my f150 I had to get a battery, water pump started leaking, now the brake pads have started to brake apart and I have to still replace them but I can get around now, but its hard to work more than a few hours I worked 5 hours yesterday somehow.