2003 s-10 wont start

Asked by Jan 14, 2016 at 06:03 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet S-10 3 Dr LS Extended Cab SB

2003 s-10 4.3 turns over wont start . It has obd-2  
p0016,p0101,p0128,p0155,p0335. I replaced the fuel pump a filter .I have
power to the relay, jump the relay and pump doesn't come on. Grounds are
good at back of the frame.

72,145

Do you know what these codes mean? I do, just wondering how to answer. It sounds like there are bad crankshaft positioning sensor, bad cam shaft positioning sensor, and bad temperature sending unit. It also says there could be a problem with wiring so has something ben done to unplug anything?

I changed the crank sensor & cam sensor but not the coolant sensor yet .could the coolant senor keep it from running? I sprayed starting fluid in it & it started right up & ran about 10 seconds

72,145

Ok, I know where you are at with this. Still a fuel issue. Need to verify that the fuel pump is turning on, just by listening to it to see if it pumps up with the key just in the on position. If you do not hear it, change out the fuel pump relay and double check the connections back at the pump. All this verified next would to do a fuel pressure bleed down test by hooking up a fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve on the intake, key on & notice what the pressure builds up to, turn the key off and watch the gauge. Pressure should not drop more than 5 lbs. in 3 minutes. If it does then there is a problem with the injectors, spider fuel lines, and fuel regulator. Spraying starting fluid in and it fires up means there is no electrical problem now.

I changed the relay. There isn't any fuel pressure at all. When i turn the key on i get voltage at the pump for a couple of seconds but never here or feel the pump turn on. When i turn off the key off there there is a weird grinding sound coming from the top of the engine for few seconds. Also i jumped the relay still didn't here anything at the pump and there is power to the relay.

72,145

You would hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key to on. Did you replace the fuel pump or just the filter? I'm not sure what that wiring looks like back there, may be a ground issue?

I replaced the pump and the filter. The grounds are secure and wire looks to be in good shape. And I DON'T HERE THE PUMP COME ON AT ALL . I said that when i turn the key to the on position there is power at the pump for a couple of seconds.I checked it with a meter when i changed the pump.

72,145

So no power after a couple of seconds? Maybe clean the grounds? And verify the weird sound, may be related.

72,145

CODE 54 Trouble Code 54 indicates a low voltage at the fuel pump. If the voltage at terminal "120" is less than 4 volts for .4 seconds since the last reference pulse was received, the code will be set. Possible causes include: 1. Faulty fuel pump relay. 2. Faulty connection at ECM. 3. Faulty oil pressure switch. 4. Faulty ECM. CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION: The status of the fuel pump CKT 120 is monitored by the PCM at terminal "B12" and is used to compensate fuel delivery based on system voltage. This signal is also used to store a DTC if the fuel pump relay is defective or fuel pump voltage is lost while the engine is running. There should be about 12 volts on CKT 120 for at least 2 seconds after the ignition is turned "ON," or any time reference pulses are being received by the PCM. DTC 54 WILL SET WHEN: The voltage at terminal "B12" is less than 2 volts for 1.5 seconds since the last reference pulse was received. This DTC is designed to detect a faulty relay, causing extended crank time, and the DTC will help the diagnosis of an engine that "Cranks But Will Not Run." ACTION TAKEN (PCM WILL DEFAULT TO): The PCM will enable the MIL. DTC 54 WILL CLEAR WHEN: Conditions for fault are no longer present and Tech 1 scan tool clear DTCs function is used or 50 ignition switch keycycles have passed with no further faults or ignition switch is turned "OFF" and ECM "B" fuse is removed for 10 seconds. DTC CHART TEST DESCRIPTION: This step will determine if DTC 54 is the result of a hard failure or an intermittent condition. This procedure applies direct voltage to run the fuel pump. If the pump runs, it may be a fuel pump relay circuit problem which the following step will locate. This step checks voltage from the battery and the ground circuit to the relay. This test determines if there is voltage from the PCM terminal, "F6" to the relay connector. This step completes the fuel pump relay circuit but if this diagnosis was used because the engine would not run then the oil pressure switch should also be diagnosed.

72,145

Thought this may apply...

I changed my fuel pump and that cured the problem of it not running.Now the codes that are coming up are p0300 & p0335 . I put a new distributor with cam positioning sensor,cap,rotor & plug wires also replaced crankshaft positioning sensor. I am stumped.

72,145

po300 is a random cylinder miss-fire code, The po335 may have something to do with this.P0335 CHEVROLET - Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Malfunction.... Possible causes.... - Faulty crankshaft position sensor - Crankshaft position sensor harness is open or shorted - Crankshaft position sensor circuit poor electrical connection... The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determines no signal from the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor for less than 3 seconds... Possible symptoms - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Possible lack/loss of Power - Engine may stall while driving... P0335 Chevrolet Description...> The Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) works in conjunction with a 24X reluctor wheel mounted on the rear of the crankshaft. The CKP sensor has a B+ power supply, a ground, and a signal circuit. As the crankshaft rotates, the reluctor wheel teeth interrupt a magnetic field produced by a magnet within the sensor. The sensor's internal circuitry detects this and produces a signal which the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) reads. The PCM uses this signal to accurately measure crankshaft velocity which is a variable used in order to detect misfire, spark and, fueling.