Replaced clutch now the engine rpm stop climbing around 2-3k rpm.

5

Asked by Dec 21, 2014 at 08:49 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet S-10 3 Dr LS Extended Cab SB

In my 03 s10 2.2 5 speed, I replaced the pilot bearing, clutch disc, pressure plate, slave cylinder, throw out bearing. There is now a noise coming from what seems to be the transmission sounds like rattling something and when I took it for a test drive it shakes on take off, the rattling seems to go away when clutch is pressed, and 1,2,3,maybe 4,5th gear it won't rev up and accelerate like it should. When I press the clutch it revs as normal. I have been concerned about alignment of the trans when mating it to the engine. Would this cause this? What did I do wrong, or what else should I check? I recently bought the truck in a non-running and in need of a clutch state, so I don't know what "normal" is for this truck. It certainly doesn't seem like the way it is now would be.

68,995

The rattaling is more than likely the throw out bearing,you can mash clucth in and it go,s away ,then release and you here it,next may be the fly wheel is out of balance.

16,035

Is the throwout bearing new? Did you put it in right? If it is new, you may not have it set correctly and it is not engaging all the way. When it is (almost) engaging it will slip and cause a vibration. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take it to a transmission place to see f there is any adjustment you need to do.

5

The throw out bearing is brand new. I came already installed on the slave cylinder. It is an internal slave cylinder. I had the flywheel resurfaced and when I got it back, it looked like there were weights on it that I didn't recall seeing when I took it in. I assumed they had balanced it. I didn't ask for it to be balanced nor did they say the would or did. Thinking about it more, maybe it was holes were they took weight out, maybe both. Not sure. As far as taking it to a shop, unfortunately that isn't in the budget right now, which is why I've attempted to DIY this. I'm already well over budget, I'm just hoping I can find the problem and it doesn't cost much more and before something really goes wrong. Things I'm questioning: 1.Slave not completely bled (doesn't grind when shifting though). 2.Maybe something is/was bound up from mating the trans to engine (I couldn't get push the trans to the engine so I had to draw it in with bolts- a no-no I know but it seemed to not take much force on the ratchet and I spun the drive shaft to ensure the splines engaged) I read that the clutch disc can bend during installation if too much weight is put on it. If it went in crooked, pilot bushing messed up or input shaft for that matter. 3.Input shaft bearing. 4.Simply a bad trans-again I bought it non running so I don't know that it was right before. I was told it needed a new slave cylinder (the listing said clutch, but when I picked it up the guy said slave-so I changed both). Thanks guys, keep any new thoughts coming I'm planning on tearing it back apart over the holidays while I have some time off.

16,035

Get an installation book to make sure you got the throwout bearing in correctly. Turning the flywheel may throw it out of balance so it is not uncommon to grind or weld weight to the flywheel to correct the balance. If you slid the trans up to the bell housing, and tightened it to specs, drawing it up is not a bad thing. If you can, find the history on the car. Was it a daily driver or abused and driven as he stole it. There is an adjustment to fully engage and disengage the clutch. Make sure everything is put in correctly and secure. If there is adjustments needed, find out what and how to do it. It will take some time, but that's the fun of working on cars. If you know someone really knowledgeable in clutch installations, pick their mind. I do know there is a right way and wrong way to put in a throw out bearing.

Getting ready to find out myself.