Cant get truck to start?

20

Asked by Jan 18, 2015 at 02:40 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr LS Extended Cab SB

Truck started idling rough and would shut off, now it will not start at all. It rolls over and
backfires out the carb. I have changed the distributor cap and rotor, plugs, wires, checked
the coil and the timing  still no luck.

68,735

Run a compression test. If all cylinders test low it's jumped timing. If it's the V6 check the fuel injector spider assembly. They're notorious for failure. HTH. -Jim

20

It has the throttle body, not the fuel injection.

68,735

So it's the 4 cylinder. Run a compression test and see what turns up. HTH. -Jim

665

Carburetors have tendency to do this when the Gas/Air mixture is wrong. This can cause Flooding in the carb and a backfire... Check your 'Air Filter' & the 'In-Line' fuel filter as well. Let us know if this helps.!

18,805

They are both fuel injected. There is no carb. Do you have the 4 cyl or v6?

665

Are you sure the plugs are in the right firing order? Is there oil on the spark plugs... ? This is a unique problem and may require a pro's inspection...! Let us know what you find....

20

Wires are correct and new plugs, old plugs were clean when i took them out.

18,805

Does the oil smell like gas? A very common thing is for the fuel pressure regulator to leak fuel into the lower intake. To verify have a fuel pressure and leak down test done

20

Oil looks and smells fine, i tried spraying starting fluid into the intake it backfired even worse out the intake. not sure what to do next.

68,735

Have you done a compression test? That'd be my next move. HTH. -Jim

18,805

Get a fuel pressure and leak down test. U can rent the tester from the parts store

665

James, One more cheap and easy thing to try.... Add about one half cup of "Fuel Injector Cleaner or Fuel/Carburetor Injector Cleaner" into the fuel injector and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes... add the rest to your gas tank. It may be just clogged or dirty.... Let us know if this helps !

20

Its the V6, I have checked the timing, changed the dist cap and rotor, plugs and wires, and checked the fuel pump. The truck had a slight miss then got worse and wouldn't stay running at idle now it wont start at all. When it was running really bad i could pull a plug wire off any of the drivers side plugs and it would get worse. But if i pulled a wire off any of the 3 on the passenger side it didnt change at all. it was like those 3 was not firing. Not it just rolls over and backfires out the intake and occasionally out the exhaust.