electrical problem

180

Asked by Sep 03, 2008 at 03:17 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

have an 01 Chevy Cavalier the battery light is on car starts and runs but took to a mechanic and said its gettin insource power no out source need help!!!  anyone know ??

325

where is the power going into and no comming out of? Alternator? gotta know.

180

the alternator mechanic put some kinda exciter chip in

10

have you had the car checked for recalls. there may be recall on the pcm

4,555

With the newer vehicles, the PCM or Powertrain Control Module also controls the alternator by adjusting engine idle speed. In addition to proper alternator's internal regulator operation, also make sure the PCM is reading the alternator output properly.

180

how do i fix the problem im totally confused is it a cheap fix or expensive the car has 80,000 miles

180

how do you check that or do i need to buy a new pcm

180

where do you go to find if there is a recall you have the site

10

Do not buy one until you are sure. If you take your vin number to a General Motors Dealership they will be able to tell you about recalls for your vehicle. The diagnosing for this might be a little more than you want to do yourself.

180

do you know if there is a site online i can put my vin # in for recalls

4,555

I was afraid to mention that you would need a scan tool, which can show real time data, to correctly diagnose the problem. Scan tool is expensive. Replacing with a new PCM requires reprogramming. To find outstanding recalls on your car, there is a link by GM www.mygmlink.com OR https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/home, where you can register with your vehicle for free.

180

took my car to autozone they plug something into the computer under the dash they said it showed no codes

1,205

It might be the PCM, the powertrain control module. Considering it's a newer vehicle, most PCM nowadays control the alternator, which then begins adjusting the idle speed of the motor. I think that the output from the alternator isn't being read correctly.

sounds like your alternator is broken :try this if you turn your lights when its dark face the car front to a wall then rev your engine look at the headlamp beam it should it should go alittle bit brighter if it does not it means you have faulty alternator you should replace

9,625

not exactly. just means the system is not charging. could be a faulty alternator, bad ground, faulty pcm, etc.....

15

First take off your red + teminal then black - terminal off your batt. Clean batt terminals and the connectors. make sure that the black cable has a clean ground contact....undo and clean also. Get a voltage meter and measure the current from the batt the the car off. It should be round 12volts. Start the car.while idlingthe alternator will be charging the batt ....your reading must be above 13 volts...if it is take your batt. canidian tire for a check..if its 12 volts sounds like the alternator gone...check the output from the unit carefull for your fingers.....

180

its a brand new battery and the alternator is new something with the pcm module

9,625

Check the plug on the alternator, make sure it is making contact and not damaged. Inspect the battery ground and power wires for signs of internal damage. Check that engine ground strap is not damaged.

7,805

Pull the alternator take it to parts store have it checked... Most have machines to test them... If it's a new alternator and you're cheap as you said earlier, it's prolley a rebuilt alternator which in my experience have about a 1 in 5 chance of being bad when you get 'em... Before you do that though double check and make sure you have a problem... So check your voltages... As the above person said though get out a voltmeter and check voltage running and while off... I'm trying to remember the voltage ranges on batteries, you vehicle may have specific ranges for it but these are just general ones.... I think off the battery should be between 12.0 and 12.4(You just want it close to this... if it's lower it just means your battery is drained at the moment) volts for normal operation and with the engine on system should be above 13.1 but lower than 14.1, with 13.6 being ideal... so... if my memory serves that's... 12.2 +/- 0.2 Battery Voltage 13.6 +/- 0.5 While Charging Voltage Can anyone verify this, or correct it? Or give the vehicles specs? While you're having a fun time with all this, clean your terminals... And while you've got the battery disconnected you can check the resistance on your battery cables... If you do that you've ruled out just about everything but the pcm... for free, well assuming you've got a multi-meter or can borrow one...