no frt wheel drive on a s-10 new cable ,but still same frt shaft engauges but tires won't turn. switch? or bad frt. hubs ?

Asked by Oct 31, 2012 at 11:35 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 4WD

37,375

First, don't abreviate words and second, use use appropriate punctuation. With that said I would lean toward its either a bad hub and the truck does not have a locking front diff or both hubs are not engaging.

22,365

The s-10 doesnt use locking hubs, its a center locking system similar to what dodge has used for many years. Verify vacuum is getting to the front acuator the cable is attached to. Then verify the actuator is able to hold vacuum. To do this u can simply take it off, compress it and put your finger over the hole the vacuum line fits on to. Then let go and it should stay compressed untill you take your finger off. Next is to make sure the cable is attached to the locking mechanism on the axle/diff. I am assuming the transfer case is in fact engaging the gears sucessfully.

37,375

I didn't realise that, I even recently pulled the oil pan off a jimmy 4X4 and didn't notice. Its so crammed in there, I think it would have been easier to remove the engine.

22,365

IDK how you did that without pulling the engine. I may not want to know...

37,375

-----1. Remove the battery and battery tray. -----2. Disconnect the shift cable at the actuator. -----3. Raise the vehicle and support it with safety stands. -----4. Remove the splash shields from the steering linkage and the oil pan. -----5. Drain the engine oil and remove the starter motor. -----6. Remove the oil cooler pipes. -----7. Remove the front wheels. -----8. Unplug the electrical connector at the shift cable housing. -----9,. Remove the wiring harness bracket from the shift cable housing. -----10. Unfasten the shift cable housing bolts and disconnect the shift cable from the differential carrier. -----11. Remove both drive axles and the differential. -----12. Unfasten the oil pan retainers, then lower the oil pan and gasket from the vehicle.

37,375

That was straight from chiltons. Entire 12 hours of dropping the transfer case and engine mounts unbolted engine raised entire steering system including the gear box removed sway bar removed.drivers side steering knuckel removed. Intake gasket "blew", I mean gone, temp raised, he pulled over added a gallon of antifreeze then a gallon of water from the gas station. The entire cooling system went into the crankcase and by the time he got it back home the two gallons he added went there too. Used my coolant drain pan, its a 2.5 gallon homemade pan filled it twice then some. When I opened the hood I was speechless for a good 2 minutes. It had even oosed out the distributor cap!!!

37,375

Lmao he said it was really hot so I added coolant and half way home from the gas station it was puffing white and missing real bad.

22,365

Lol, that sounds awesome. I think just pulling the thing sounds easier. Surprised after all that it was saveable.

37,375

Its a GM!!!