1999 s10 extreme/4.3L

Asked by Dec 25, 2010 at 12:03 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr LS Xtreme Standard Cab SB

Ok mechanic wizards... I have a new puzzle that needs to be solved. I will try to be as
descriptive as possible. I have a 1999 s10 extreme with a 5 speed manual transmission. I
have only owned the truck for around 3 months and have have had nothing but problems
with the clutch. After doing some research and asking around, me and a few other people
came to the conclusion that it was the slave cylinder. So I paid a friend of mine to help me
who has had quite a bit of experience with mechanics, so we dropped the bell housing/
transission, took out the old save cylinder, put in the new one, put everything back
together, bled thee system and it seemed to work great. 2 days later, same problem,
except this time it was leaking fast and it was coming out of the bottom of the bellhousing
wich by the way is where the slave cylinder bolts in. So since I knew how to do it now, I got
another friend to help me only to lower and raise the bellhousing/tranny and I did
everything else. Figured that maybe it was just a faulty slave. So I yanked out the new/old
one, and replaced it with yet another brand new one. I re-assembled everything and once
again bled the system and everything seemed to work great. That was 2 months ago. Here
we are again with yet the SAME problem. Its leaking again. Any idea why? What is causing
the slave to leak in such little time? Am I doing something wrong? Any input would be nice,
thanks for your time.

175

Recently i just helped my friend replace his slave cylinder in his ford f150 and after we got it put back together and everything we couldnt get it to bleed right and im going to a mechanic school and one of the instructors told me that when you replace the slave cyliner you have to repalce the master cylinder also for the clutch, after doing so it works great, so this could possibly be your problem, hope it helps

9,765

I would Check with your local Chevy dealer to make sure there is not more than one option available. I had a similar problem with my 93 Z24. Come to find out, the car was optioned with a fairly rare transmission that no clutch sets were made for. I ended up having to use a slave cylinder and clutch from a 93 and a throwout bearing from a 92 to make it work.

635

shouldnt have to replace the master cylinder ... some of the clutch systems are difficult to bleed.. the question i would ask first is how are you bleeding the clutch?.. are you opening the bleeder then pusing the pedal or pushing the pedal then opening the bleeder??... also sounds like there may be an o-ring or seal of some kind on the connection to the slave cylinder that may be missing or damaged. your best bet for bleeding the system is pressing the pedal to the floor then opening the bleeder.. what you might try is gravity bleeding it... just open the bleeder on the slave cylinder and allow the fluid to flow but keep close eye on the fluid level as to not let it go dry. but sounds like ther may be a fitting or seal that may be leaking.

are u getting the gasket with the new slave cylender,it dont come with one u have to buy it seperately.2 you could have a bad clutch cylender,bolts to firewall,they will go badand put to much pressure in the system,blowing the slave cylender,u are putting dot 3 break fluid in it when bleading it.

Yes I used dot 3. Turns out after much research, reading, asking around and inquiring.... I found a few things a little out of the ordinary when it comes to my 99 s10 extreme. When I replaced the slave the first time, I also had to replace the output shaft seal, which after three 30 mile trips to the auto store finally got the right one. Which didn't come from a 99 in the computer, it came from a 95 I think it was. Anyway, back to the slave cylinder isue... bc I didn't want to spend the outrageous amount of $ that GM asks for the original OEM slave, I was purchasing afterarket slaves. After doing a lot of research I found that people recomended using the OEM, even if it does cost me an extra $50 or $60. So I did. Paid the extra money and got the OEM part. I put it all back together and haven't had a problem with it SO FAR. Its only been about a month or so, so I'm not holding my breath.just FYI to any of you who may have wondered, I already replaced my master clutch cylinder, whether it needed it or not I figured why not. The o-ring did actually come with the first slave package and I left it on there so its new. I installed the slave, hooked up the line and layed underneath, had a friend pump the pedal 10 or 15 times then hold it as hard as he could to the floor b4 I opened the bleeder. All in all it comes down to the rubber seals in the slave. Somethin about the rubber in aftermarket parts aren't as good as the rubber in OEM parts. Or this part anyway. Now I need to find myself a 350 to put in it lol. Anyway thanks for the input fellas, can't tell ya how frustrating it was to hve to drop the tranny once a month. Take care all.

10

I have a 99 xtreme 5 speed 4.3l and this is my 3rd slave cylinder I just bought a gm oem one and 4 days later is leaked again. I have no clue i didnt replace the master cylinder and thats next im pretty sure its leaking out of the slave not the connector, I was told there are 2 sized of clutches made for this truck

415

Had this problem many years ago and it was an Opel clutch system in the GM. Go figger.