Signals hyper flashing

Asked by Aug 24, 2016 at 06:33 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr LS Standard Cab LB

I have this '99 S10 and the turn signals hyper flash in both directions (blink fast). In addition to hyper flashing, if you flip the switch for a right turn both arrows light up, but, the direction you chose will be dominant. In other words, no matter what direction you hit, it ''bleeds'' through to the other side.  So looking at the front on a right turn, the right signal will be flashing (fast) but the left marker will also light up, but not as bright. Tail lights are fine. The hazards work just fine.  I've changed all the bulbs and the flasher. It only has one flasher for both signals and hazards. Also, the front parking lights don't work at all(same bulbs as signals). Also, when I turn the parking/head lights on both turn signal arrows light up, even with the key off. And, the radio display(time/station) goes off when parking lights/headlights are switched on. I don't care much about the radio, I just want the signals to work properly, i.e only flash on the side it is supposed to. But I thought I'd mention it in case it's related.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?

62,955

Sounds like a bad ground in the multifunction switch (turn signal switch) in the steering column. HTH. -Jim

1,695

If the flashers are quick that's to indicate a bad element in a dual element bulb. Sounds like you may have a wire pinched up on the steering column. Looked in my book the one thing that could be at fault would be the turn hazard switch assembly. To replace will require air bag and wheel removal. Air bags a pain take your time be careful and unhook the battery.

62,955

If you decide to remove the airbag module, disconnect the negative (-) battery cable and wait 5 minutes before beginning the repair. The airbag system has a power reserve so that if the battery becomes disconnected in a collision the airbags will still deploy if needed. HTH. - Jim