I have a 2001 chevy cavalier z24 key stuck on ignation

Asked by Aug 31, 2015 at 05:48 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe

I had problem turning the ignation to start car. It would take a few times then it
would turn and work. Now the key is stuck in the ignation cylinder because it
will not turn all the way back to the off position to allow me to remove the key..
is there anything I can do to get the key out???

You may have to replace it,even if you get the key out.

Sounds like you need a locksmith or dealer. You nay need to change the ignition switch.

Thank you mark. I didnt want to do that but i guess i will have to. I really need to just leave the key in the ing because I will have to turn the key to remove the cylinder correct?

Yes,the key will have to be in it to remove lock cylinder.

Best Answer

Thats what I thought. Thank you very much.

You need the whole ignition module, unless you take the the lock cylinder out, in order to do that ,it must me in the ac position K.O.E.O. key on engine off, you pop off the plastic with plastic pic and only when in acc position you press the metal pin on the side to take it out. After 2000 , THE KEY HAS A CHIP! not the alarm remote, a actual recognition chip in your gm key. So you will have to program it if you end up making keys. The good news is you can program it yourself in 30 mins. I will explain how if needed. IF YOUR KEY IS STUCK OR THE CYLINDER WONT TURN INTO ACC, YOU HAVE TO DRILL THROUGH THE LOCK, UNLESS THE KEY IS STUCK IN ACC POSITION< THEN DRILL THROUGH KEY AND LOCK. Its cheap to do keys and drill cylinder, but drilling takes a while (1-2hrs) depending on experience. Either way its cheaper than replacing ignition, but i did both on different cars and it was much faster but more expensive to just switch ignition. GM is easy to disasemble, The ignition has 1 or two plugs and a parking cable attached, which easily unplugs. Feel free to ask more questions and give me more info on your problem

I am a Certified GM tech. I own , and owned impala 94 and 00 and 03. corvette 06 denali xl 07 yukon 99 monte carlo ss camaro z28