Why won't my truck start ???

80

Asked by Apr 01, 2016 at 07:11 AM about the 1998 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr STD Standard Cab SB

I have a 1998 Chevy S10, 4 cylinder PU Truck. I used the truck in the morning & it worked just fine. Was going out in the afternoon & it wouldn't start. It cranks fast, I put gas & tried starting fluid in the carb, still it wouldn't start. Keeps on cranking & won't even turn over. I noticed that my dash gauges was not right. Here's a pic of my dash with the key on. With the key on, the gas & amp needle should move up & I just noticed the speed gauge, what a trip.  Need Help PLEASE !!!

1,710

My first guess is alternator, try jumping it, if it starts and runs with other cars alternator running your car but dies as soon as you disconnect, its probably alternator. Take off and get tested. Remember to also look to see is accessory belt loose or broken? I had same condition and found belt had loosened. Remember battery only starts car/turns starter, alternator gives spark to everything and charges battery. Hope that helps! Maybe other 'gurus' will chime in!

80

so will the alternator do that to the gauges? one more thing, would you know if my truck has an electric fuel pump? thank you for your answer.

1,710

More than likely yes on gauges, and yes on electric fuel pump. But if It was fuel pump when you sprayed starting fluid it would start for few seconds than die. Suggest test alternator. Did you check belt?

80

thank you for all your input. I did the jump & it didn't turn over, only crank. when I turn on my key, I don't hear the fuel pump? the belt was good. thank you again.

1,710

No fuel pump sound=fuel pump bad, relay bad, bad wire, bad fuse ..usually, lol

80

so if the fuel pump is bad & I put gas in the carburetor, should it not at least turn over?

1,710

Yes it might but you could also flood it out. I always use a little start fluid. First thing is 1. Check for spark 2. Check for fuel pressure. You can rent fuel pressure gauges at auto stores. You need both, which is missing? Its not usually both at same time. Either one or the other. I like to start simple to try to discern which system is acting up than go from there. You'll find it!

80

okay, ill try that. thank you again. ill be back, lol. hope you don't mind. I hate cars with brains :)