1997 Chevy s10 Pickup. I go to start it but it take over 6 plus seconds to start, it cranks like normal.

70

Asked by Jan 24, 2017 at 07:28 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr LS Standard Cab LB

Lights and everything stays on while cranking, cranks like normal, no electrical issues. It just takes 6 plus seconds to start if it sits for more that 8 hours without being ran. If it had been started earlier in the day, it starts back up just fine. I've tried cleaning the air filter and checking the battery. everything is fine including battery cables. What could the issue be? One time when I filled the gas tank up I poured a bottle of octane booster in it to clean my fuel injectors, It than stated right up until it was time to fill up again. Any ideas? If anyone could help me at all that would be great!

75,465

I don't think octane booster cleans anything. I would run a good fuel injection cleaner threw with some Chevron premium gas to clean things out. Any way how are the spark plugs, cap and rotor? May need replacing.

Best Answer Mark helpful
70

Have not checked the plugs yet, I will do that and get back with you on that.

71,585

Sounds like the fuel system is losing pressure. Try the, turn on the ignition but don't try to start it. Count to 5. Turn off the ignition. Now try to start it. If it fires right up the fuel system is losing pressure. My '03 S-10 Pick Up has been doing that for years. There's a check valve in the fuel pump assembly that wears out on these trucks. It's common. To correct it you'll have to replace the fuel pump assembly in the gas tank. HTH. -Jim

75,465

Thank you Js08016, I always appreciate your input!

71,585

You're welcome, Rowefast, and thank you. - Jim

70

Hey Js08016 I have another question, could you try and help me on it as well if you have the time?

75,465

Go ahead and ask, he will see the question. We all here to help. And if you don't mind, I may put my 2ยข in.

70

Ok, so I checked my plugs and had a mechanic look at it, the plugs are fine just a little brown but that's normal. I just filled my gas tank up and put a gumout gas treatment in it again, and now it starts like new. but once I get low on gas again, it does the cranking again. Ive narrowed it down to the fuel pump loosing pressure or my Cat is plugged up and bogging my engine down. What do you think?

71,585

I still vote for a bad check valve in the fuel pump assembly that's allowing the fuel system to lose pressure. HTH. -Jim

70

Ok I'll look into that, thanks for all the input!

70

And I will more than likely just get a whole new fuel pump, what brand is recommended most?

75,465

The AC Delco would be good, and it looks like the whole assembly has to be replaced that comes with the fuel pump, that assembly is like $250. I see cheaper ones starting at $90.

71,585

Absolutely AC Delco. Stay away from Carter and Airtex. They're not as good. HTH. -Jim