my 97 s10 starts intimitently what could it be

5

Asked by Mar 12, 2013 at 10:15 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr LS Extended Cab SB

i have a 97 s-10 with a 4.3 w motor it will start one minute n not  the next my fuel pressure spikes 66psi
but does not hold i replaced the fuel pump i changed my oil which was gas filled n not an hour later it
was gas filled again could it be my spiders or any ideas i have good spark

98,555

Sounds like you have some leaking or stuck open injectors, in the vortec engine fuel system the spider as you call it is a tube system from the injector solenoid assembly to each cylinder. You will have to remove the upper air chamber to gain access to the injector assembly. I would replace the assembly to avoid any future problems. Be very clean during this operation and use static discharge straps to eliminate any possible fuel ignition source. I would also drain the oil that is in it again remove the oil fill cap and leave the oil plug out until the job is completed this will allow the gas the engine to evaporate during the job. Replace your oil filter too. I've seen engines blow off their valve covers and oil pans due to fuel in the oil. Good luck

5

i am gonna try changing the spiders tomorrow was just wondering if there was any options i may have been overlooking i'm just not understanding the fact that if i hold the gas pedal down n let off it sometimes that helps it fire n start n once it starts it runs smooth as can be

3,220

I agree has to be injector(s) jacking with u. Whether mechanically or electricly operating when they shouldn't be.

98,555

When you hold the gas pedal down the computer goes into a "clear flood" mode, that shuts off the injectors until you release the fuel pedal then they go back to normal operation, with the problem you have there is enough fuel leaking by to start the engine in the clear flood mode, then when it starts the computer will try to adjust the fuel trim to make it run as good as possible even though there may be a problem. Don't forget to reset the computer after the job is done.

7,565

look at each of your sparkplugs one at a time.. the wet one(s) will be the stuck injector(s). you can hear the operation while the engine runs by holding a screwdriver on it and ear on the screwdriver.

19,055

the 97 has only 1 injector, its the spider system. What has most likely happened is the regulator on the back of the spider injector has started leaking fuel. When the upper intake is taken off there will be a washed area towards the back of the motor, clean spots = fuel leakage.

10,365

In the early 90s GM started using vaccuum controlled fuel pressure regulators on most of their vehicles. I would look at this as being a possible culprit to your problem. Inspect the vaccuum lines and even consider changing the regulator for a mechanical one that you can manually adjust.

5

thanks guys i will be pulling bit apart tomorrow n will let everyone know how it works out

5

Alright guys I'm bak been doin a lot to this thing it still starts periodically n today we tapped on the computer n it starts could it be a bad computer? But then I do sum more research on line I read that it might be the ignition switch