starting trouble

Asked by Feb 10, 2017 at 01:11 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr STD 4WD Standard Cab SB

my 1996 chevy s-10 4.3 starts great when cold but when it warms up it will not
start, willa crank sensor do this if its bad?

No not likely. Sounds like the Ignition Control Module. When the start to go bad the engine heat will affect them causing a no start when it is warm. You can have an auto parts store test it if you take it out.

Best Answer Mark helpful

thanks buddy

will a ignition control module off a 2002 full sized chevy truck with a 4.3 fit my 96 s-10 4.3?

I am not seeing a ICM for a 2002 listed anywhere. The ICM and the coil can be tested at the auto parts store, might as well test the coil also.

ok i took a icm off another truck thats runmning and still have to same thing wont atart when warm?

Coil next if you are going to do it this way.

even when it wont start the coil seems to have great spark?

still no way its crank sensor?

No because a crank sensor works off a magnetic field, and if it were bad it would not start at all. You can't get any codes read?

Yea, great spark out of the coil,....I know heat can affect a coil. Man this certainly sounds like a coil or ICM. Gotta think. Codes would help.

Well I just learned something. so yes the crankshaft sensor could cause this. I have never ran across this before, always the ICM and or the coil. I don't know what you want to do hear, having the codes read would tell us what is going on. They make cheap code readers for like $30 to $40 and have them at parts stores. I just don't like spending money on parts not needed.

code reader shows nothing?

Are you sure it connected with the vehicle computer? Did the code reader turn on by itself when you plugged it into the ALDL port? Has the battery ben disconnected for a period of time after the problem?

dont know my buddy did it? but hes good at that stuff

So we are not finding anything electrical causing the problem. So we would have to look else where. The only things that fit your symptoms are the ICM, Coil which could have a crack in it, or the crankshaft sensor that upon further research could be a cause. This is difficult since we don't know if the ICM or coil is bad because they have not ben tested. Next I would be looking at fuel pressure. Checking to see if it is a fuel pump, or fuel regulator. Thats where I'm at this morning. Do you know if the code reader you got can clear trouble codes? If it can I was thinking of making the engine throw a known code to see if the scanner picks it up. Let me know what you want to do.

where is the fuel regulator located on my 4.3?

Unfortunately it is part of the spider fuel injection assembly. And if there is a problem anywhere with the assembly it is recommended to replace the whole assembly. Since your year truck 1996 it has since ben redesigned. So thats why you would want to do a fuel bleed down test. Check it out on this sight.....