Trucks having overheating problem and cant figure out why, entire cooling system has been replaced, sadly im thinking headgasket :(...any other suggestions?

Parker Stoner
85

Asked by Jan 21, 2012 at 01:59 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr STD Standard Cab SB

Trucks overheating almost immediately, alll new coolant parts...everything from radiator to adapter at the block.

Parker Stoner
85

well, found a hole in the casing that holds the engine coolant adapter, threw some jbweld on it and wiaitn overnight for it to dry...also baught a new fan clutch.

vintage1956
85

was going to suggest checking the timing but it is probably electronic

Peter Nichols
2,955

make sure your thermostat is not installed upside down . the spring side goes down into the intake manifold

Peter Nichols
2,955

Oh yea if it's a head gasket you'll see bubbles in the coolant (foam)

Peter Nichols
2,955

make sure the coolant bypass passage is not plugged with rust or a missaligned gasket . PBN

Parker Stoner
85

i rechecked everything and theres no bubbles or foam in my coolant and yet its still doing it, im thinkin maybe the heater core? honestly am just buying a refurb and throwing it in there...im sick of having 180k on it

Mike Zaba
1,145

if it is overheating almost immediately you may have a water pump that isnt pumping. Have seen the propeller come loose on them before. Good luck

Parker Stoner
85

The waterpumps not even 6 months old but doesnt hurt to take a peak, rhanks mate

Peter Nichols
2,955

If that pump was for a serpentine belt set up or vise versa the rotation of the impeller may be backwards . because the serp. setup uses a reverse rotation pump . is your sending unit for temp gauge new ? ( last resort test , take out thermostat temporarily fill with water only and run with out the cap on rad . check for circulation in upper rad tank immediately after startup )if this changes anything at all with the overheating make note of it and buy a new thermostat ... the NAPA superstat's a pretty good one at about ten bucks or there's the ROBERT SHAW at about double the price .. I've seen thirty or forty year old RS thermostats that still work perfectly ... but on average , 1 out of every 10 new thermostats is bad right out of the box (true ) you can check T-stat with a paint stirring stick placed across the top of a pan of boiling water on the stove . Hang the new T-stat by the bail ( the hoop loop ) with a piece of heavy string or small dia. wire from the sirring stick down into the water (submerged ) now with a candy thermometer or simmilar item read water temp as it begins to boil and watch for the center plug of T-stat to move away from the restriction ( down ) as it opens over about a 5 or ten degree range . should be fully open by ten to fifteen deg. above T-stat's rated opening temp. ie. 190 should be fully open by 205 deg. on thermometer ... don't try to heat the water above 212 deg ... it won't go there without pressurizing the system , and will just boil faster untill it pukes on you ... nothing burns worse than hot steam or scalding hot water so be carefull ...don't ask how I KNOW this , just be glad you don't have to find out !!!

Gracec143
0

My Sonoma only overheats if I sit for a period of 10 minutes or more