Can I flat tow my 2001 4wd Blazer%3F

230

Asked by Mar 11, 2013 at 01:06 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Door LS 4WD

It has push button 4wd. There is an Auto button, a 4 wheel high and 4 wheel low button. Nothing about a neutral position. Can I get a definitive answer or do I just watch for smoke behind me?

you can 'flat tow' anything, that is to say a flat bed towtruck- should have put the word 'with' in there...

89,695

How far are you towing?

89,695

I'm thinking "roadkill" is using a strap and moving the Blazer on it's own wheels for a short distance.

230

I am towing it behind a forty foot class A RV cross country until I get done and stay somewhere.

%3F does not mean anything to me. What's smoking? the tires? the engine? You cannot engage neutral?

230

%3f means nothing to me either. Web gremlins. Nothing is smoking. That is what I am trying to avoid. I repeat my question. Can a 2001 Blazer 4x4 be flat towed behind an RV without damaging anything on the Blazer.

89,695

I would not risk cross country without definite answers from other owners, RV dealer, RV forum, Chevrolet dealer, etc. I would think the big danger would be overheating/damaging the transmission. The axles should be able to handle it.

89,695

The %3F is a question mark using a bad translation. The question may have been sent from a phone or something.

30,955

Disengage the 4x4 pull the battery and then pull drive shafts.

16,175

what john said, pull the drive shafts. The auto 4wd is not intended to be towed with any wheels on the ground, the transfer case isnt just different modes, chains, and gears. Its another differential with clutch packs or viscous couplings of some sort similar to AWD vehicles. If you pull the drive shafts you wont have to worry about neutral.

60

If you have the autotrac system in your blazer,the button that says auto 4wd, you can flat tow your blazer.If you have your manual,check it,it tells you how to do it.What you do is with the motor running,but I don't remember if you do it in neutral or park,is hold down the 4wheel high and 4wheel low buttons down at the same time for about 15-20 seconds.You will hear your transfer case shift and the neutral light will come on in between the high and low buttons.Your transfer case is now in neutral and you can tow the truck four wheels down.I did it several times with my 2000 blazer with out any problems.If you are going to tow cross country,you might want to put in a remote starter and start the engine every 4-5 hundred miles so the transmission gets some lubrication. I was told this just as a precaution, and it definetly would not hurt.Hope this helps.

10

I have been told by Dealer you can't Tow this vehicle flat all four down unless you disconnect Drive Shaf! I am in same perdicament and would like to Tow my Chevey Blazer!

FLAT BED towtruck, like the kind the highway dept. uses after an accident~ like the kind thieves everywhere want to use as there isn't a security alarm made that can stop them from takin' your car or truck...use one of these flat bed haulers and the drivetrain will not even see four feet of motion...

Counting Cars tools around town looking for something to put back there~

8,355

NO, you can't flat tow it- there is no neurtal setting on those years of blazer- you would cause lots of damage- you need to upgrade to a 2002 or newer trailblazer or envoy- those would have the necessary neutral setting for the transfer case.

20

There were two different transfer cases used in these years, specifically 2000. One is the "electronic" transfer case, which has no neutral position available and the other is the "automatic" style. You can tell which one you have easily by locating the 4wd control buttons. If you have the one with an "auto" button and 2wd, 4hi and 4lo, this one can be put into neutral by following simple directions in the owners manual. The "electronic" transfer case does NOT have the auto button on the panel, and has no neutral position available, and can not be flat towed.

16,175

i was under the impression that the 3 button "electronic" transfer case could achieve neutral but pushing both 4hi and 4lo at the same time

40

Yes you can tow it. I have towed my 2000 S10 ZR2 Blazer all over the country behind our Fleetwood Revolution. Just read your manual. It will tell you how to engage neutral.