getting poor gas mileage, need help with solutions

Asked by Nov 28, 2013 at 03:49 PM about the 1998 Honda CR-V EX AWD

CRV has 209,000 miles.  I drive
about 100 miles a day. 30 miles one
way then around town to see
different patients. I'm only getting
about 200 miles to a tank. Any
suggestions on how to improve FE
and mpg would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

yes...if you get a new timing belt and sprockets...there will not be the "stretch delay" holdin' up the show by a tiny bit each stroke~ timing belt kit $151.00

$84.50 with waterpump~

High performance coil~

This is what Judge Roy our #1 man is talking about, will go full screen

with that kinda mileage would hazard to guess that the pcv is near choked off~

All of the above it correct, but also don't forget basic engine tune condition, plugs, filters, injector cleaning, also cold temps can cause a drop in engine efficiency, make sure you thermostat is functioning properly, if it is running too cold the ECM will never go into closed loop so the ECM will always deliver a cold fuel charge to the engine thus bad mileage.

You know tennis, you got me thinking of the technology of 1998...much much different then 2008...and even more of my style 1993-1996 type creature...there is much to learn over these last twenty years....every detail of every year should be firmly registered in your memory by now....for example the kielbasa outboard fuel pump stopped being a tumbling fireball in crashes...last one about 1995-1997~ later on trucks, I think~ "wireless" throttle control...who could have imagined....yet these NEW systems are laden with problems....and craving an early '70s Fleshy Chrysler~

"Drive by wire" mechanical throttle linkage was past due it's appearance. There are airplanes (F16) that the 'stick' does not move, it's a solid piece of titanium (hey, no stainless, too heavy) anyway just the pressure of the pilot's hand..and so very little pressure at that. We will soon have gas pedals that don't move is my point. Just the pressure of a foot that the rigid pedal 'feels'. This is 2014 almost. In 1965 I was sure we would have anti gravity 'cars' by 1980.

there is something to be said for tactile feedback...especially important if you are keen on how the car feels....after it's been through a rainstorm...first thing in the morning....after pullin' off the freeway and comin' to a stop....all things are of a tactile nature.....this whole business of a lazer lookin' into my eyeball kinda gives me the willies, I must say~ the old 35mm knew that you were takin' a shot...the weight, the cluck of the shutter...nowadays we've got a phony "shutter" sound and the one that resembled a 35mm FUJI was battery hungry and you could barely set the date before the batteries were dead...nice try...I understand that guns are the same need that "weight" to hold 'er are the same way.....OR SHOULD BE~

Colin Rivet

might need basic tune up,air and fuel filter,plugs and wires.

if you're driving around town that can also lower your mpg. you get better mpg on the highway where there is less stop and go traffic and your're traveling at a constant speed. also turning your car on and off can affect fuel consumption. when was the last tune up done? oil change? check engine light on?