Engine not turning over

Asked by Jan 24, 2014 at 03:19 PM about the 2006 Ford Taurus SE

I connected my battery charger to the battery and being dark, for the first time in my life, I crossed the leads from the charger to the battery.  When I plugged it in, I heard a "Pop".  I immediately unplugged it and corrected it and plugged the charger back in.  I was then able to start the car, and let it run for an hour, shut it down and restarted it again.  The next morning, I am not even getting it to turn over.  I am worried that the POP damaged something, but I have no clue what.  The car seems to have power as the locks unlock and the lights come on, but when I turn the key there is a single click and that is all.

Any ideas?

228,125

The battery might just be drained again, hook up the charger the proper way and if you can then start it, you didn't blow a fuse. Can you check the voltage of the battery with your multimeter? What is the reading? I'd have the battery load tested at your local auto parts store, as I suspect your due for a replacement, since it didn''t hold the charge overnight.

Thanks, I will check tomorrow. I am also worried I could have done something to the alternator. I did smell a burning smell when I heard the pop and walked back over to the car. I thought there may have been some smoke, but it was dark and about 5 degrees outside so I wasn't sure. I plan to disconnect the alternator to see if it turns over to see if I may have a short in the alternator. Does that sound prudent?

Went out this morning and connected battery charger, still same problem. Proceeded by disconnecting alternator...turned key and car started right up both with and without charger connected. Shut down and re-connected alternator...started right up. Shut down and re-started serval times, no problems. Could there have been a reset that disconnecting the alternator remedied?