2006 Taurus - Transmission - Loose part & missing bolts

20

Asked by Feb 20, 2010 at 05:23 PM about the 2006 Ford Taurus SE

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and just started to work on my 2006 Ford Taurus SE. I am not an expert mechanic, and don't have much experience fixing cars - but I do enjoy it and have the patience to persevere.

The car is leaking transmission fluid. I believe this is because the transmission pan is no longer sealed well, due to an impact on it while driving. So I need to change the pan, gasket, and filter.

As I got ready to do this work, I noticed one part that looks like a think circular plate is somewhat loose: I can move it with my hand. There's a space between it and another part in the transmission. Also, a couple of bolts seem to be missing.

I have a short YouTube video which more clearly shows what the problem is. Please take a look at it at this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuQUU3K0DuM

Should I be concerned about this? If so, what should be done?

Thanks,
JPG.

4,885

The "circular plate" is just a shield, if you look underneath it you will just see the flywheel, this is nothing to be concerned about. It looks like your transmission was either removed or worked on previously.... or you nocked the bolts loose on whatever you hit. That pan and seal need to be replaced asap. While you have it removed you may as well change the filter and transmission fluid.

20

Thanks Christopher, I appreciate your reply. Yes, I'm getting ready to replace that pan - probably tonight. The pan says the gasket is meant to be reused and not replaced, but I got a new one. I figure it will be more work to remove the one from the old pan and put it on the new pan than to just use the new gasket to make the seal.

20

Oh, one more thing: As you said I will also be changing the filter and fluid. I plan to seal the new OEM plastic gasket to the transmission pan by using Permatex Gasket Maker (high-temp red rtv silicone). What do you think of that?

125

on thoe tranny if the gasket is liege or plastic never use a rtv sealed it will make it leak and ive seen so many people use selaer on gasket and it made the gasket slip and leak put the gasket that made for it and leave it be the bolt missing under is for the flex plate you should replace it so no shit goes in there and get to your seal

20

Benoit, What do you mean by "if the gasket is liege". I never heard of a material called "liege". Online searches don't help. Can you please clarify?

4,885

Clean the areas where the gasket is being installed. With this gasket you should not need RTV or any other sealents.

125

a liege is like some carbord gasket ford use it on a lot off there tranny pan