If the supercharger belt is removed, can the engine still get 'normal fuel/air flow to the cylinders?

Asked by Feb 28, 2013 at 11:00 PM about the 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Supercharged Coupe

100,635

I will not get normal air because the supercharger is out of the loop. It still might run but with less power.

55

Unless you are able to man handle the steering or power your spark in the coils, you won't go far in this car if it does run without S/C belt. The Supercharger belt runs the accessories like power steering and alternator. I also think the A/C unit is on the same belt. So probably not a good idea to run the car for long without that belt. It should still get air/fuel to cylinders.

8,755

Assuming you can power the water pump, power steering, alternator, a/c and what ever else separately form the supercharger, it will work, but not well. For one, the compression of the supercharged engine is lower than the atmospheric engine, plus the supercharger itself is going to cause restriction in air flow. On top of that, the fuel injectors are sized and rated for the added air flow, so you may need to change them, too. There may well be differences in the computer system as well. All in all, probably not a good idea. Either replace the existing supercharger if it is gone, or sell the car to someone who will do so, and start over with another vehicle.

10,475

I had a pulley failure on the S/C drive belt in my GTP. The S/C belt was seperate from the main drive belt. Unfortunately the pulley was not a standard stock item for the dealer and was not carried by the parts houses, so I had to order the part in. This was my only car at the time, so letting stay parked was not an option. I did drive it, but there was no power and the gas mileage was horrible and that was even after putting 87 octane in it.