What's the center hole for on an intake manifold gasket for a 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria ?

115

Asked by Oct 17, 2016 at 01:07 PM about the 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 4 Dr LX Sedan

The intake manifold gasket for a Ford 302 cid engine has a center hole between the 2 central bolting holes. What is this center hole for ?

68,725

Either a coolant crossover passage or an exhaust crossover passage. Does the carburetor have a choke heat tube that goes from the carburetor to the exhaust manifold? If so, it's a coolant passage. If not it's an exhaust passage. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
115

Vehicle already has electronic fuel injection. I was asking because I had a vacuum problem and tried to solve it by replacing the intake manifold gasket. I installed a tailormade gasket which I cut out of a Viton rubber sheet. Material is fuel and temperature resistant up to 250°C / 482°F. Just wanted to be sure rubber gasket will not overheat.