Automatic transmission does not shift as properly as before after filter change

135

Asked by Jul 22, 2014 at 12:56 PM about the 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 4 Dr LX Sedan

Recently I had the transmission filter and some fluid changed on my '90 LTD Crown Victoria. Since this filter change the transmission does not shift as properly any more as before - particularly when the transmission is cold. After driving a few miles it is getting better, but is still not perfect. Same problem the next day. I double-checked the oil level which is definitely OK.  What else can cause this ?

375

GM cars or any American cars with high miles better never change oil just add it or you can just flash it but keep filters and all gaskets same. If car less than 70k its OK. In your situation add to transmission Lucas but control the level of oil. Hopes its helps :)

298,925

Are you checking the fluid level when warm and a level surface, engine on , in park? If the level is fine, you might want to take the car back to the shop. I already had work done like you on my car years ago. It didn't shift right between 1st and 2nd.. Turns out the shop left the small gasket off the trans filter to the valve body, which wasn't included in the filter kit.

135

I' ve been checking the transmission fluid level after a ride of about 10 - 15 miles on level ground. But engine has always been OFF ! Should engine be running during measurement ? Never heard about this. Small filter was included in the filter kit; I' m quite sure workshop did not miss it because I remember that I was discussing the tightening torques with them given in the installation guide.

135

Today I have re-checked transmission fluid level with engine RUNNING (gearshift selector in PARK position). This procedure is also recommended by my owner guide. This way I measured a fluid level below the min mark (1st hole in dipstick). With engine OFF level rises up to the upper mark / crosshatched area. Should I add some more fluid resp. Lucas 10009 or better not ? May the transmission be damaged if liquid level is too low ? I' m worried to overfill ! Any recommendations welcome.

298,925

You always check the fluid with the engine running and up to operating temperature on an automatic trans. The level will always be higher when the engine is off. If you follow this procedure you will not overfill. Get yourself some Dex/Merc trans fluid and a small funnel to fit the dipstick tube. If you say it's at the 1st hole, no real damage was done. Add a little at a time and recheck the level to get to midway between the holes and or cross hatching. You might be a 1/4 to 1/2 quart too low.

Best Answer Mark helpful

from my own experiance in the past,i installed a shift kit,its called a correction kit it fixes factory faults,your trany will last 3 times longer run cooler,take off faster be better on gas! they run anywhere from 50.00 to 300 dollars.I wonce hit a bus pulled the motor & trany put it in another car and was off and running again with no harm to the trany! fords are known for bad trany shifting! never had a problem after shift kit install!